Dame

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Dame

Postby Perry » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:46 am

dame
c.1225, from O.Fr. dame, from L.L. domna, from L. domina "lady, mistress of the house," from L. domus "house" (see domestic). Legal title for the wife of a knight or baronet. Slang sense of "woman" first attested 1902 in Amer.Eng.
Dame meaning "lady"; entered Middle English from Latin domina, mistress, via French dame, (/dam/).

A Dame may be:
A female rank equivalent to a knight (e.g. Dame Commander of the British Empire).
A female Seigneurie (i.e. Sibyl Hathaway, Dame of Sark)
A title of respect for certain Benedictine nuns, for example those of the English Benedictine Congregation (e.g. Dame Laurentia McLachlan, late Abbess of Stanbrook, Dame Felicitas Corrigan, late author, abbess) -- the male equivalent being "Dom", derived from Latin "Dominus" (e.g. Dom John Chapman, late Abbot of Downside).
A pantomime dame.
An old word for the game pieces in the game of checkers.
A tough woman. Slang from the 1940's.
"Give me" is the Spanish Translation of "¡Da me!".
A word meaning "No" or "Not" in Japanese Language. In context, it usually comes across meaning "No good." This is a two-syllable word and, as such, has a different pronunciation from the other examples of "dame" in this list.
"Dame", the second single from RBD's third studio album Celestial.
Dame Edna Everage, is a character played by Australian comedian Barry Humphries.
Dame Siriþ, a poem written in Middle English.
Despite the song that says, "there is nothing like a dame", it seems that there are actually many things.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:25 pm

Why are there no dame yankees?

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”