ha-ha

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

ha-ha

Postby Bailey » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:58 pm

The ha-ha or sunken fence is a type of boundary to a garden, pleasure-ground, or park, designed not to interrupt the view and to be invisible until closely approached. The ha-ha consists of a trench, the inner side of which is vertical and faced with stone, with the outer slope face sloped and turfed - making it in effect a sunken fence. The two syllables may also refer to the onomatopoeia which represents the sound of light or sarcastic laughter.
mark one-way-to-keep-things-in-or-out Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:21 am

You mean that a ha ha fence isn't a duel between two comics :?: :?
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Re: ha-ha

Postby gailr » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:50 pm

The ha-ha or sunken fence is a type of boundary to a garden, pleasure-ground, or park, designed not to interrupt the view and to be invisible until closely approached.
Someone has to do this: the definition sounds like a minnie ha-ha.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:09 pm

I'd never heard of it until I came across it in my reading. Not sure I've ever seen one, even After I did an image search on Google.

mB

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

eberntson
Lexiterian

ha-ha

Postby eberntson » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:23 pm

I have seen a couple and have had a friend fall into one, as we were running over the lawns of an Norman estate in knee high grass he disappeared. Ouch! There is another word for them in my gardening books too. The "fence" has been used since Roman time, it is referenced in one of my Roman Garden book, and since the Roman never really invented anything I am sure they stole the idea from someplace else.

Zoo's use this technique often when they display African veld critters and want to keep species apart in a passive way, or away from the edges of the enclosure. To bad they didn't have them in Jurassic Park. :-)

E.
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”