Umami

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:29 pm

And to go out on a cheery note:
Death by Caffeine

gailr calculates for tea. smiles. defiantly brews up another pot.

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:18 pm

Death by Caffeine

Precious! I'm not sure I've ever before seen a "Kill Me" button.
115 French Roasts please... :P

Slug-sipping-Stevia-go
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:46 am

"Umami, can this really be the end,
To be stuck inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues again."
Mr. Thomas you ain't; but I like I like!

mark Dylan-other-herbs Bailey
Yes, I'm sure my voice on a good day could make Dylan sound good on a bad day.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:53 am

Death by Caffeine

Hmm. About 230 or so shots of espresso, or just over 57 quads. Mmmmmmmm. Now, how long after my death before my body stops jittering? :lol:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

eberntson
Lexiterian

Postby eberntson » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:03 pm

I have always thought of "Umami" as the "Savory" flavor. I just think chef right now are all about neo-Asian & Japanese cooking so they like the way the whole thing sound. Got to love pop-food culture...

Thanks for the write up on MSG, I've now got a dozen more things to avoid. I have just been focusing on high-fructose-corn-syrup right now. That stuff is in everything too. I have actually been making more & more of my own food, you are convincing me to get a bread maker.

@Gailr: The fatal toxicity level of caffeine is about 10 grams ([i]not 10mg sorry I miss quoted[/i]) for most people, this is where serious nerve damage & cardiac arrest occurs. When you left eye begins to twitch you are getting nerve damage, this can start occurring at about 5 to 7 grams. Lets say if you drank 10 16oz JOLT colas you would be in serious danger. How do I know this? I have some very weird friends that studied the effects of caffeine on humans in college. :shock: You should also know that their are several forms of caffeine, some more potent then others. Actually that is not quite accurate, there are several forms of binders that deliver caffeine, thus tea, coffee, & cola deliver the drug to you at different rates.

I am going to go to my local bakery and ask what type of flour they are using. Also I love Whole Food's baguette so I will figure out what they are using. :wink:

Savory (Umami) is one of my favorite things though. :D
Last edited by eberntson on Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:43 pm

High Fructose corn syrup is a good thing to avoid, as is MSG and the other excito-toxin [emphasis toxin]Aspartame, But mankind has only eaten grains for a short time in terms of the existance of eating, Grains are not the optimal food either. A diet of fruits and vegetables, hopefully mostly Alkalizing IS optimal.

mark co-writes-a-newsletter-on-health-topics Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

eberntson
Lexiterian

Postby eberntson » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:22 pm

@Bailey: I'm one of those people that is allergic to Aspartame and I'm very happy about that. It not the high I get off the aspartame that I mind so much, kinda a euphoria similar to 2 shots of tequila, it is the 2 day hangover similar to the one after drinking 2 cups of tequila that I mind.

Grains may be new but that doesn't mean that they should be discounted or pooh pooh'd as food. Processed grain (i.e. white flour) that is as you have stated not good for us. I agree that a diet rich in fruit & vegetables is critical. I think it is the quantity of grains that we consume in the West that is the issue. A human being can live perfectly fine on the equivalent of half cup of dried rice per day in a balanced diet. But to discount a whole food group is rash.

"Moderation" as the Greeks taught us is the key. Trust me I am always battling with moderation.

Remember grain grows wild so our ancestors surely ate it when it was available, and is actually what allowed humanity to develop agriculture, towns, society, commerce, and (back on topic) written language, starting with Sanskrit (cursive or not).
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
talk less, say more,
--R. Burns

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:33 pm

Eric just be wary of the genetically modified grains, especially corn, rice and wheat, soy too. I just get sores in my mouth from Nutrasweet. And who knows where else along the gastro-path. check with Weston A Price.com on the primative diet thing.

mark eats-[like]-a-horse Bailey

kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:00 pm

The fatal toxicity level of caffeine is about 10mg for most people, this is where serious nerve damage & cardiac arrest occurs. When you left eye begins to twitch you are getting nerve damage...
Um, mon ami, I wouldn't want to take that assessment too seriously, as my eyelids twitch all the time. But now I'll have to keep track of which one it is (what does it mean if you twitch the right one, I hesitate to ask...?)

@Bailey: good thoughts on diet there. I gave up most grain-eating, especially wheat, last spring and concentrated on salads, and with no other modifications lost 45 pounds, plus more energy yet less insomnia. Now I'm on a renewed sugar search in the store ingredient lists, flabbergasted anew at the insidious places it pervades (as if tomato sauce and salad dressing weren't enough- sliced turkey??) Don't even have sugar in my kitchen, been using stevia in coffee.

Aspartame...
will never be a part o' me! :roll:

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:27 pm

(what does it mean if you twitch the right one, I hesitate to ask...?)
Me armchair diagnosis is: left soide o' brain controls roite soide o' carcass. Yarrr! Yer either about ter drop yer bow, or yer habout ter lose yer language...skills...

Bof options be dire. Order a French Roast, smartly lad, whilst ye still 'av power o'speech!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:01 am

where did you find this? The only place on the net that refers to this quote comes right back to this post
eberntson wrote:
The fatal toxicity level of caffeine is about 10mg for most people, this is where serious nerve damage & cardiac arrest occurs. When you left eye begins to twitch you are getting nerve damage...
Mb.

I once stupidly bought a stacker with caffeine in it, it had 500mg of cafffeine in each tablet, sounds like premeditated murder to me.

kb

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:35 pm

My quick search of the literature indicates the 10 mg is a bit too low to be a fatal dose. If it were, Dr. Kevorkian could have saved himself some jail time by just subcontracting to Starbucks and Caribou Coffee.

Fatal caffeine overdose: Two case reports

Sarah Kerrigan, Tania Lindsey
New Mexico Department of Health, Scientific Laboratory Division, Toxicology Bureau,
P.O. Box 4700, Albuquerque, NM 87196-4700, USA

Caffeine is a mild central nervous stimulant that occurs naturally in coffee beans, cocoa beans and tea leaves. In large doses, it can be profoundly toxic, resulting in arrhythmia, tachycardia, vomiting, convulsions, coma and death. The average cup of coffee or tea in the United States is reported to contain between 40 and 150 mg caffeine although specialty coffees may contain much
higher doses. Over-the-counter supplements that are used to combat fatigue typically contain 100–200 mg caffeine per tablet and doses of 32–200 mg are included in a variety of prescription drug mixtures.

Fatal caffeine overdoses in adults are relatively rare and require the ingestion of a large quantity of the drug, typically in excess of 5 g. Over a period of approximately 12 months our office reported two cases of fatal caffeine intoxication. In the first case, the femoral blood of a 39-year-old female with a history of intravenous drug use contained 192 mg/L caffeine. In the second case, femoral blood from a 29-year-old male with a history of obesity and diabetes contained 567 mg/L caffeine. In both cases, the cause of death was ruled as caffeine intoxication and the manner of death was accidental.

... Toxicology results for case #1 indicated a trace of ibuprofen and 192 mg/L caffeine in femoral blood. In this
case, the source of the caffeine was unknown although this individual had a history of drug abuse and caffeine is sometimes used as a cutting agent or diluent for illicit drugs.

Toxicology tests on case #2, revealed acetone 0.017 g/
100 mL, phenytoin 7 mg/L and caffeine 567 mg/L. The
acetone and phenytoin concentrations are consistent with
diabetes and medical intervention to control the seizures.
The caffeine concentration is consistent with misuse of a
dietary supplement as indicated by the family.

Fatalities among adults are relatively rare and are reported
following doses of 5–50 g. Recovery after ingestion of 30 g
has been reported [1].
In general, toxic and fatal reactions have been associated with blood concentrations in excess of 15 and 80 mg/L, respectively [4]. Postmortem redistribution may account for increased caffeine concentrations in heart blood.

Heart/femoral concentration ratios averaged 1.2 in a series of three fatalities [6]. In these two case studies, however, only femoral blood samples were available. Among a series of 14 fatalities, the mean caffeine concentration in blood was 183 mg/L (range, 79–344 mg/L) [4].

Fatal caffeine overdose is relatively uncommon. However,
we report two cases: one, which may have resulted
from misidentification of the drug and another that appears
to involve misuse of a dietary supplement. In both cases, the cause of death was attributed to caffeine intoxication and the manner of death was accident.

Notes for the Metrically Challenged:
1000 milligrams (mg) = 1 gram (g)
1000 g = 1 kilogram (kg)
1 kg = about 2.2 pounds avourdupois (lbs)
1 ounce avourdupois (oz) = 28.349523125 g
1 oz = 28,349.5 mg
1 g = 0.0352739619 oz
1 mg = 0.0000352739619 oz
Regards//Larry

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:56 pm

where did you find this? The only place on the net that refers to this quote comes right back to this post
eberntson wrote:
The fatal toxicity level of caffeine is about 10mg for most people, this is where serious nerve damage & cardiac arrest occurs. When your left eye begins to twitch you are getting nerve damage...
Mb.

I once stupidly bought a stacker with caffeine in it, it had 500mg of cafffeine in each tablet, sounds like premeditated murder to me.
As the late, great Chester Burnett used to sing...
When my right hand itches, I gets money for sure
But, when my left eye jumps, somebody's got to go
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:27 am

As the late, great Chester Burnett used to sing...
But, when my left eye jumps, somebody's got to go
Ah, Howlin' Wolf; truly one of the greatest ever.

eberntson
Lexiterian

Postby eberntson » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:40 pm

Sorry I miss remembered and talked to my source, I should have used grams, not milligrams. I have changed the original post.

My friends that experimented found that there was a range of how resistant people were to the ill effects of caffeine. IF a person was a caffeine junkie (2-5 pots of coffee a day) then the left eye twitch (nerve damage starting, took a higher does), since they were not trying to induce shock, coma, or death they didn't exceed 10 grams (okay once they went to 12 grams in a 24 hour period but some one messed up). Please remember that this was 20 years ago so I am pulling these numbers from the dusty corners of the trivia section of my mind.

I do know that the rate of caffeine consumption balanced with food intake, and liquid had significant affects on the results. Lets just say that if you take 10 grams of caffeine on an empty stomach, and you can manage to keep it down, you are in serious trouble. Or if you are drinking so much coffee that your left eye begins to twitch, you have had enough. Kinda like when you are at a bar and you are drinking martinis and you fall of your stool, and they cut you off.

As for 500mg caffeine pills, I'm sure those are not good for you. Everything in moderation folks.

@Bailey & sluggo: I am currently changing my diet back to healthier thing and home cooked food. I love the whole grained sunflower breads, and some wheat breads; and salads are the bomb! However, it seems that a lot of store bought wheat is not as healthy as one might think, who 'thunk it, that corporations would figure out how to adulterate healthy stuff. Honestly as a cook a dash of sugar is okay in sauces & dressings, but I'm talking 2 pinches not something that is the in the top 10 ingredients in a food. Hey, they use sugar or HFCS to spray poultry so that the skin browns in the grocery store, that where that burnt molasses smell come from the rotisserie chickens. Again, moderation is key, just like salt, salt is necessary for life & flavor.

Cheers!
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
talk less, say more,
--R. Burns

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”