Accroach

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Grogie
Senior Lexiterian

Accroach

Postby Grogie » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:14 pm

To assume or usurp. ''Dictators often accroach to themselves too much power.''

ClaireM
Junior Lexiterian

Accroach

Postby ClaireM » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:50 am

In medieval times and in both medieval Latin and medieval French the word "accrochiament" implied the extending of one's occupation of land to cover a plot on which one did not have proper rights. Areas set aside for the King to hunt across, turbaries (places where peat was dug) and portions of common land were sometimes "accroached" sometimes to build a barn or sheepfold. In today's language we would use the word "encroach" instead but "accroach" had a specific legal meaning.

Cheers ClaireM

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:33 am

Welcome, ClaireM!

Is this related to the concept of adverse possession of real property in common law?
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Grogie
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Grogie » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:21 am

Thanks for the information Claire. Welcome.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Accroach

Postby Slava » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:49 pm

I re-found this one while looking to see if usurp had been done. (It has, twice.) I like it, and the adverse possession concept as a kind of relative. I'm thinking it might also fit in with eminent domain; the State accroaching land for the public good.

I think accroach differs from usurp in the sense that usurpery is taking of a power or right that isn't yours, whereas accroachment is the taking of property. You usurp the rights to a plot of land, you accroach the land itself. Anyone out there agree?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”