bon vivant

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
eberntson
Lexiterian

bon vivant

Postby eberntson » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:26 pm

bon vivant [n. BAWN vee-VAHN] A bon vivant is a person who is devoted to the finer things in life, especially good food and drink. Example: "She enjoyed visiting her uncle the bon vivant, who always provided fine wine and plenty of rich foods." Bon vivant is a French phrase combining bon (good or favorable) and vivant (living, healthy, animated). Vivant is the present participle of the French verb vivre (to live). Near synonyms include epicure and gourmand.

I think that one could find a finer distinction between "bon vivan" and a "gourmet". I feel is bon vivant is more encompasing, and less meaning leaning towards gluttony. Al least I hope so... 8)

I just read James Barder obituary and thought this would be a good word for the living. He was an author, cook, bon vivant, and a Mensch.

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolo ... ef0&k=4622
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:57 pm

A gourmet does not necessarily lean to gluttony. That is what a gourmand does.

A bon vivant is not exclusively preoccupied with food and drink. This is a person with a zest for life in general. (IMHO)
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”