Hamlet

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Cacasenno
Lexiterian

Hamlet

Postby Cacasenno » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:26 pm

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

hamlet

SYLLABICATION: ham·let
PRONUNCIATION: hmlt
NOUN: A small village.
ETYMOLOGY: Middle English hamelet, from Old French, diminutive of hamel, diminutive of ham, village, of Germanic origin. See Appendix I.

Appendix I

Indo-European Roots

ENTRY: tkei-
DEFINITION: To settle, dwell, be home. Oldest form *tei-, becoming *tkei- in centum languages.
Derivatives include home, hangar, and situate.
1. Suffixed o-grade form *(t)koi-mo-. a. home, from Old English hm, home; b. Niflheim, from Old Norse heimr, home; c. haimish, from Old High German heim, home; d. hame, from Middle Dutch hame, hame (< “covering”); e. hamlet, from Old French ham, village, home; f. haunt, from Old French hanter, to frequent, haunt, from Germanic *haimatjan, to go or bring home; g. hangar, from Old French hangard, shelter, possibly from Germanic *haimgardaz (*gardaz, enclosure; see gher-1). a–g all from Germanic *haimaz, home. 2. Zero-grade form *tki-. a. amphictyony, protoctist, from Greek ktizein, to found, settle, from metathesized *kti-; b. probably Italic *si-. situate, situs, from Latin situs, location, from suffixed form *si-tu-. (Pokorny 1. ei- 539, ei- 626.)
[/list][/quote]

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:15 pm

So in theory, "hamming it up" could be acting like someone from a small village.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Cacasenno
Lexiterian

Postby Cacasenno » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:49 pm

Exaggerate one's acting while hooking up a prosciutto to cure under a ceiling truss in a rural house? :roll:

(Definitely I must give up the business)
Last edited by Cacasenno on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:16 am

Exaggerate one's acting while hooking up a prosciutto to season under a ceiling truss in a rural house? :roll:

Please, I have been eating Kosher for the last 6 years. Don't get me reminiscing over the taste of prosciutto crudo. :cry:
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Cacasenno
Lexiterian

Postby Cacasenno » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:53 am

Ops

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:25 pm

Exaggerate one's acting while hooking up a prosciutto to season under a ceiling truss in a rural house? :roll:

Please, I have been eating Kosher for the last 6 years. Don't get me reminiscing over the taste of prosciutto crudo. :cry:
Well, there's no accounting for taste, no matter how crude it may be, especially those over-done Kosher burgers I had once long ago. Just send the cow on down the aisle and I'll rip off a chunck as she goes by.

Pork, though, does need to be cured or cooked. Ah, but when it is ...

:lol:

I've been trying to find info on prosciuttini. I had it years ago and remember it to be similar to prosciutto. The only info I could find was a reference in a restaurant review that it's made from the belly instead of the thigh. Even that paragon of data, Wikipedia, didn't have any infor on it.

Perhaps Cacasenno can enlighten us the next time the common carrier pigeon passes over his part of Tuscany. :wink:
Last edited by Stargzer on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:10 pm

I don't overdo anything (as far as meat is concerned). My personal brand of kashrut is to abstain from non-kosher animals and from mixing meat and dairy. I don't worry about kosher slaughtering, or cooking the juices out of meats.

For someone that grew up in reform Judaism, had always eaten pork and shellfish, and mixed meat and dairy, the extent of my kashrut is plenty. It never seemed important to me, until I started raising my kids in the Bible Belt, deep in the heart of barbequed pulled-pork country.
Anonymous

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:39 pm

I had a friend explain to me that the prohibition of dairy with meat was to keep an animal from being cooked in its mother's milk.

Fair enough, but then I asked him why I couldn't have a slice of cheese on a grilled chicken breast since I've never seen a chicken with mammary glands. He replied that well, maybe it was just a blanket prohibition to avoid accidentally putting cheese on a hamburger.

Oh, well ... :?
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:04 am

The funny thing is that the original Hebrew text may have read, "Do not cook a kid in its mother's fat." The consonants for fat and milk are identical in Hebrew (חלב). The Torah is written without vowels, so it could have been easy to mistake the two words.

At the end of the day, the main reason for Kashrut, as I see it, is to create an identity as a people; not for reasons of health or logic.
Anonymous

Cacasenno
Lexiterian

Postby Cacasenno » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:35 am

Perhaps Cacasenno can enlighten us the next time the common carrier pigeon passes over his part of Tuscany. :wink:
Regret I can't do it here:
- It is off topic (unless we find another ethim for Hamlet).
- Perrytorture is prohibited under Geneve Convention.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:53 pm

The funny thing is that the original Hebrew text may have read, "Do not cook a kid in its mother's fat." The consonants for fat and milk are identical in Hebrew (חלב). The Torah is written without vowels, so it could have been easy to mistake the two words.
now that makes sense, I am not in agreement on the lack of Logic in the laws.... I believe God has His reasons for everything, our reasoning is finite, his thoughts and ways are higher, I think both Christians and Jews agree on this.....Besides God never said to have separate dishes, those are man-made laws and as such, look at ours [modern-day] for instance, they are largely silly.

Mb.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:03 am

I am not in agreement on the lack of Logic in the laws.... I believe God has His reasons for everything, our reasoning is finite, his thoughts and ways are higher
I quite agree. By the very point you make, I am asserting that beyond acknowledging that there is a reason, there is no need to seek the reason. The Biblical context suggests in any event that Kashrut is part of the laws and precepts that set the nation aside.
Speak to the congregation of Israel and say to them, "you shall be holy, because I the Lord your God am holy"
Leviticus 19:2.
Anonymous

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”