gonzo

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Klimt
Lexiterian

gonzo

Postby Klimt » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:36 am

1. (of journalism, reportage, etc.) filled with bizarre or subjective ideas, commentary, or the like.

2. crazy; eccentric.
Whoever wants to know something about me - as an artist which alone is significant - they should look attentively at my pictures and there seek to recognise what I am and what I want.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:45 pm

Gonzo the Great. One of the coolest muppet characters.
Last edited by Perry on Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:00 pm

From Wikipedia:
Gonzo journalism is a style of journalism which is written subjectively, often including the reporter as part of the story via a first person narrative. The style tends to blend factual and fictional elements to emphasize an underlying message and engage the reader. The word Gonzo was first used in 1970 to describe an article by Hunter S. Thompson, who later popularized the style. The term has since been applied to other subjective artistic endeavors. ...

Origin of the term
The term "Gonzo" was first used by Boston Globe magazine editor Bill Cardoso in 1970 when he described Hunter S. Thompson's The Kentucky Derby Is Decadent and Depraved, which was written for the June 1970 Scanlan's Monthly, as "pure Gonzo journalism". Cardoso claimed that "gonzo" was South Boston Irish slang describing the last man standing after a drinking marathon. Cardoso also claimed that it was a corruption of the French Canadian word "gonzeaux", which means "shining path"; although, this is disputed. The word may have been inspired by the 1960 hit song Gonzo by New Orleans R&B keyboardist James Booker. In the 2007 released oral biography of Hunter S. Thompson: Gonzo, it states that the term Gonzo is from the hit song by James Booker.

The Original Gonzo Journalist

Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”