Deliquescent

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Deliquescent

Postby Stargzer » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:59 am

Deliquescent
adjective: (especially of certain salts) becoming liquid by absorbing moisture from the air
Deliquenscence
Deliquescent materials are substances (mostly salts) that have a strong affinity for moisture and will absorb relatively large amounts of water from the atmosphere if exposed to it, forming a liquid solution. Deliquescent salts include calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, zinc chloride, Carnallite (KCl*MgCl[sub]2[/sub]*6H[sub]2[/sub]O), and the strong base sodium hydroxide. They are often used as desiccants.
We usually used calcium chloride in dryers and dessicators in chem lab.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:21 am

Back in Israel, when the humidity would hover around 90%, I used to feel pretty darn deliquescent myself!
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:24 am

I thought it was all desert and rocks they were fighting over!
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:57 pm

Not on the Mediterranean coast.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”