Daffadowndilly

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Modi
Junior Lexiterian

Daffadowndilly

Postby Modi » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:46 pm

It's a name of for flowers of the Nacrissus genus.
I found it in Tolkein's trilogy where Sam was describing Galadriel saying "as white as a daffadowndilly", since then it stuck in my mind, so it would be good to know what's origin is.
"Do you want to know hell, it's depths; hell is the company of the ignorant." My translation for a verse by Omar Al-Khayyam.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:42 am

I would have searched for a more loftier descriptor for such an ethereal beauty as Galadriel; but Samwise Gamgee is a man of the soil.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:46 pm

Sam's choice here shows a very astute feeling for what is going on in the world. The daffadowndilly is simply British for a daffodil, which is usually yellow.

It's only toward the end of its life, when it is going to seed, that it becomes ethereally white.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:15 pm

Surely you're not describing Galadriel as seedy... :wink:

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:27 pm

Surely you're not describing Galadriel as seedy...
Goodness no, just fluffy white and coming to the end of her time, when she will sail off on the wind.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

eberntson
Lexiterian

Poems, et al

Postby eberntson » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:32 pm

A.A. Milne, of Winnie the Pooh fame, wrote a poem named "Daffadowndilly", but I can't remember it. Although here is a Mother Goose versions:

Daffadowndilly
Has come into town,
In a yellow petticoat
And a green gown. ~~Mother Goose

Also there is a lot of variation on words for daffadills, such as;

Affodil
Daff
Daffy
Daffadilly
Daffodilly
Daffydowndilly
Daffadowndilly
Daffodowndilly
Daffadoondilly

Also daffying, that means to gather daffodils (dates to 1871)

Wow dilly-dallying in the garden has paided off.

~E
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

eberntson
Lexiterian

Pained subject of refinement...

Postby eberntson » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:40 pm

Galadriel as seedy...

Might I explain...

In the garden as some plants mature they become more refined with time, and rarely their color reflects this refinement of there maturity & beauty. Although all the glitters as gold AIN'T. But with maturity of grace & beauty there comes rare-refined beauty, similar to a beautiful women or handsome man becoming a handsome woman & a distinguished elderly man.

For me trees do this the most, such as the beech or the linden trees. Some roses change colors as the blossom ages, either lightening or deepening color.

Remember Sam is a gardener and would notice & know of slow maturing refinement of beauty. (sigh)

~E :-)
Last edited by eberntson on Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

Modi
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Modi » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:20 pm

I think Sam used this description just to say that her age gives her beauty, not thinking that she might whither soon or later for he knew none that his master's may cause that.
Sam was not the type to put riddles in his words for the wise to catch and understand. He just what he has to say or think he has to.
I don't think trees becomes more beautiful as they age and wither slowly, since they become sometimes twisted and as wrinkled as a tired man. but it does give them presence, whether that of might, solemness or wisdom is up to the person.

P.S: This is completely irrelevant, but shouldn't you, eberntson, say "a handsome woman" instead of "women". And thanks for your interesting musing.
"Do you want to know hell, it's depths; hell is the company of the ignorant." My translation for a verse by Omar Al-Khayyam.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”