Olympiad/Olympian

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Cacasenno
Lexiterian

Olympiad/Olympian

Postby Cacasenno » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:39 pm

Olympiad

SYLLABICATION: O·lym·pi·ad
PRONUNCIATION: -lmp-d
NOUN: 1. An interval of four years between celebrations of the Olympic Games, by which the ancient Greeks reckoned dates. 2. Sports A celebration of the modern Olympic Games.
ETYMOLOGY: Back-formation from Middle English Olympiades, Olympiads, from Latin Olympias, Olympiad-, Olympiad, from Greek Olumpias, Olumpiad-, from Olumpia, Olympia, Greece, site of the Olympic Games.

And also:

Olympian

SYLLABICATION: O·lym·pi·an
PRONUNCIATION: -lmp-n
ADJECTIVE: 1. Greek Mythology Of or relating to the greater gods and goddesses of the ancient Greek pantheon, whose abode was Mount Olympus. 2a. Majestic in manner. b. Superior to mundane affairs. c. Surpassing all others in scope and effect: Olympian efforts were mounted to keep the city from going bankrupt. 3. Of or relating to the Olympic games. 4. Of or relating to the region of Olympia in Greece or its inhabitants.
NOUN: 1. Greek Mythology One of the 12 major gods and goddesses inhabiting Mount Olympus. 2. One who is superior to all others: an intellectual Olympian. 3. A contestant in either the ancient or the modern Olympic Games. 4. A native or inhabitant of the region of Olympia in Greece.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

-------
Is someone olympianically shattering up the old China? :twisted:

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Olympics

Postby Slava » Sun May 20, 2012 7:59 pm

Well, it didn't make the cut 4 years ago, but as this is another year of Olympian endeavors, perhaps it can be treated?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun May 20, 2012 10:14 pm

I thought Cacasenno just did! Good time to surface it though. Also an example of lexiterians not heardfrom lately. I wish more of those former Agorans would come back. There's some great stuff in the archives. I hope one day to get through all of them.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun May 20, 2012 10:26 pm

I thought Cacasenno just did! Good time to surface it though. Also an example of lexiterians not heardfrom lately. I wish more of those former Agorans would come back. There's some great stuff in the archives. I hope one day to get through all of them.
An easy place to start is the unanswered posts. That's where I found this one languishing.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”