inextricably

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
dougsmit
Junior Lexiterian

inextricably

Postby dougsmit » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:15 pm

Used in the Barack Obama acceptance speech 28 August...
or extricable, extricate as you see fit
While discussing this, it might be good to touch on a similar work 'inextirpable'
Doug Smith

DavidN
Junior Lexiterian

Postby DavidN » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:13 am

Main Entry: in·ex·tri·ca·ble

Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French or Latin; Middle French, from Latin inextricabilis, from in- + extricabilis extricable
Date: 15th century
1: forming a maze or tangle from which it is impossible to get free
2 a: incapable of being disentangled or untied <an inextricable knot> b: not capable of being solved

inextirpable

SYLLABICATION: in·ex·tir·pa·ble
PRONUNCIATION: nk-stûrp-bl
ADJECTIVE: Difficult or impossible to eradicate or destroy.

Sounds like what I used to feel about trying to rid my house of the water roaches back in AZ. They kept coming back like in a horror movie. I remember the county services coming to spray the sewer system and my house was the last in the sewer route, I had to be prepared for battle. That's what I get for buying a house in a cul-de-sac on the lower side of the hill.

Sorry I took this farther away from the DNC speeches that prompted this suggestion.
Even in chaos there is a pattern.

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:55 am

Quite a useful word, and on reflection well suited to politics.

I first noticed it in the narration of Rick Wakeman's adaptation of Jules Verne's Journey to the Centre of the Earth (1974)
"A mile further on they reached the edge of a huge forest made of the vegetation of the tertiary period. Tall palms were linked by a network of inextricable creepers." (chap. 4)

Well, you don't drop a phrase like inextricable creepers and just walk away without getting noticed.

Whether the term is lifted directly from Verne's original I don't know, but in the process of researching this line I came across this examination of the word stupefication from the same work. Another GWS?
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”