Skepticism

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:26 pm

One may doubt global warming, but the work of the Prince of Darkness - never !...

Henri
Nor that of the iconoclasts! It appears......

Kt

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:23 pm

Nor that of the iconoclasts! ...
Those interested in (mainly Christian, mainly Byzantine) iconoclasm may find this Wikipedia article of interest....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:24 am

I recently watched a public-access program by a local atheist's group. One was struggling to make a rather convoluted iconoclastic point against the posting of the ten commandments in public places--especially elementary schools--because those children who wear crucifixes would suddenly realize that they were breaking the second commandment and be theologically flummoxed. The other asserted that they would never make the association.

What I particularly enjoyed about the program was the persistent use of the term "craven images". This begs the question: should someone who opposes the public exhibition of "craven" images be designated as an iconclast or as an art critic? Worse yet, would such a person's generating excessive hot air on this topic increase the rate of global warming?
-gailr
+-(:- )

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:02 pm

I can't answer gailr's query about «craven images», save to report that I am utterly opposed to them (which is why I don't allow photos of myself to be taken). But I sincerely hope that Dr Goodward can be persuaded to look with favour upon Katy's recent suggestion for GWotD, for there seem to be a lot of people out there who really need to learn what it means - or equally, if not more important, what it does not mean. The other day, after reading National Geographic's October 2004 issue (the last of those which had accumulated home in Stockholm while I was away trying to earn enough money to pay the rent in Norway) I had occasion to write a letter to the editors, a portion of which I take the liberty of citing below :
... With regard to author Kate Krautkramer's text, I should like to add a «don't» to her many «do's» : Don't confuse the word «iconclastic» with «iconic» in a sentence like «Note iconoclastic characters : gold miner, prostitute, cowboy.» Perhaps one could also add a «do» : Do check in a dictionary before using words with which you are not familiar. ...

PS : Shouldn't an editor or a proofreader have caught this egregious error before the proofs were delivered to the printer ?
In the event «iconoclastic» is elevated to the status of GWotD, I hope our dear doctor will send a link to the NGM....

Henri

PS : Gailr, haven't you got one «i» too many in the last word of your current tag ?...
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:24 pm

Maybe she means Deus est scientiarum dominium? (Insert the first emoticon on the left in the penultimate line here.)

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:54 pm

It's all up to gailr now - good thing she's back !...

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:58 pm

It's nice to be back.
You are correct, Henri, I missed the spurious "i" (thanks for the suggestion, though, Dude).
-gailr

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”