vocabulary (dictionary)

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Cacasenno
Lexiterian

vocabulary (dictionary)

Postby Cacasenno » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:59 pm

vocabulary

SYLLABICATION: vo·cab·u·lar·y
PRONUNCIATION: v-kby-lr
NOUN: Inflected forms: pl. vo·cab·u·lar·ies
1. All the words of a language. 2. The sum of words used by, understood by, or at the command of a particular person or group. 3. A list of words and often phrases, usually arranged alphabetically and defined or translated; a lexicon or glossary. 4. A supply of expressive means; a repertoire of communication: a dancer's vocabulary of movement.
ETYMOLOGY: French vocabulaire, from Old French, from Medieval Latin vocbulrium, from neuter of vocbulrius, of words, from Latin vocbulum, name. See vocable.

dictionary

SYLLABICATION: dic·tion·ar·y
PRONUNCIATION: dksh-nr
NOUN: Inflected forms: pl. dic·tion·ar·ies
1. A reference book containing an alphabetical list of words, with information given for each word, usually including meaning, pronunciation, and etymology. 2. A book listing the words of a language with translations into another language. 3. A book listing words or other linguistic items in a particular category or subject with specialized information about them: a medical dictionary. 4. Computer Science a. A list of words stored in machine-readable form for reference, as by spelling-checking software. b. An electronic spelling checker.
ETYMOLOGY: Medieval Latin dictinrium, from Latin dicti, dictin-, diction. See diction.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

A case of (partial) ambivalence? Is the term vocabulary lost in a time aberration?
So far I have never seen a BE or AE vocabulary. :?

The American Heritage® Vocabulary of the English Language? :wink:

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:33 pm

A vocabulary is just a list of words, whereas a dictionary tells you something about them.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:20 pm

I think that dictionaries are more comprehensive than vocabularies. Some textbooks at the elementary school level will have a vocabulary list with each lesson or chapter, as will some language textbooks at other levels. Learning (or finding) the definitions is " ... an exercise left to the student ... ."

(Many a time have I seen that last phrase in science and math textbooks, and each time it struck terror into my heart!)

The arcane vocabulary of some technical fields is sometimes referred to as jargon.

----------------------------------------------------

Off topic, but I couldn't help but notice Slava's new signature.
GIGO
It's an old Government Data Processing acronym meaning:
Garbage In, Gospel Out
I know it from many, many years of practical experience. :(

Note: For the rest of the Information Technology universe it stands for Gargage In, Garbage Out.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:20 am

I'd always heard it "Garbage In, Garbage Out" meaning that the way is was programed determined the results.

Jargon can often seem a foreign language, particularly with acronyms.

http://www.alphadictionary.com/bb/viewt ... 75&start=0

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”