protocol

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Cacasenno
Lexiterian

protocol

Postby Cacasenno » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:42 am

protocol

SYLLABICATION: pro·to·col
PRONUNCIATION: prt-kôl, -kl, -kl
NOUN: 1a. The forms of ceremony and etiquette observed by diplomats and heads of state. b. A code of correct conduct: safety protocols; academic protocol. 2. The first copy of a treaty or other such document before its ratification. 3. A preliminary draft or record of a transaction. 4. The plan for a course of medical treatment or for a scientific experiment. 5. Computer Science A standard procedure for regulating data transmission between computers.
INTRANSITIVE VERB: Inflected forms: pro·to·coled or pro·to·colled, pro·to·col·ing or pro·to·col·ling, pro·to·cols or pro·to·cols
To form or issue protocols.
ETYMOLOGY: French protocole, from Old French prothocolle, draft of a document, from Medieval Latin prtocollum, from Late Greek prtokollon, table of contents, first sheet : Greek prto-, proto- + Greek kollma, sheets of a papyrus glued together (from kolln, to glue together, from kolla, glue).
OTHER FORMS: proto·colar (-klr) , proto·cola·ry (-kl-r) —ADJECTIVE

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

A protocolar approach may deflame good disposition

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:44 pm

A good word, as yet untreated in the Agora. I would really love to see some actual quotes showing it being used as a verb. Can anyone out there help out? I admit I haven't the slightest clue as to how to look up rare usages of a word in a rare form.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”