asunder

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Cacasenno
Lexiterian

asunder

Postby Cacasenno » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:45 am

asunder

SYLLABICATION: a·sun·der
PRONUNCIATION: -sndr
ADVERB: 1. Into separate parts or pieces: broken asunder. 2. Apart from each other either in position or in direction: The curtains had been drawn asunder.
ETYMOLOGY: Middle English, from Old English on sundran : on, on; see on + sundran, separately (from sunder, apart).
OTHER FORMS: a·sunder —ADJECTIVE

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

From latin scindere perhaps?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:23 am

Asunder has long been one of my favorites, now that I'm reminded of it. It's a nice strong word. It goes well with "rent," as in torn. Somehow, using it to speak of curtains, while I understand the usage, seems wrong. Curtains lack a certain gravitas that this word implies for me.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Cacasenno
Lexiterian

Postby Cacasenno » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:49 am

Asunder has long been one of my favorites, now that I'm reminded of it. It's a nice strong word. It goes well with "rent," as in torn. Somehow, using it to speak of curtains, while I understand the usage, seems wrong. Curtains lack a certain gravitas that this word implies for me.
Agree. To me too the rendering is different. :)

Rent stands for rend, I imagine

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”