Rend

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Rend

Postby Slava » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:24 am

From bartleby.com:

1. To tear or split apart or into pieces violently. See synonyms at tear1. 2. To tear (one's garments or hair) in anguish or rage. 3. To tear away forcibly; wrest. 4. To pull, split, or divide as if by tearing: “Chip was rent between the impulse to laugh wildly and a bitterness that threatened hot tears” (Louis Auchincloss). 5. To pierce or disturb with sound: a scream rent the silence. 6. To cause pain or distress to: tales that rend the heart.
INTRANSITIVE VERB: To become torn or split; come apart.
ETYMOLOGY: Middle English renden, from Old English rendan.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Cacasenno
Lexiterian

Postby Cacasenno » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:07 am

Apparently no connection between 'rend' and 'rendering' in any of the latter's definitions.

rendering

SYLLABICATION: ren·der·ing
PRONUNCIATION: rndr-ng
NOUN: 1. A depiction or interpretation, as in painting or music. 2. A drawing in perspective of a proposed structure. 3. A translation: a rendering of Cicero's treatises into English. 4. A coat of plaster or cement applied to a masonry surface.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

Meaning 4. above:
In GB, I believe, plastering and rendering are quite different. The former, containing plaster of paris (gypsum), is not suitable for external use so facades are not 'plastered' but' rendered' using a mix of lime or cement.
No distinction in definition there in the US?

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:33 pm

Being the country boy I am, I didn't see a definition that fit one of my most common understandings of the word. Render; or to render as in lard, or send the old horse to the renderer. So...I had to go looking.

Interesting word with an awful lot of meanings.

Render

Pronunciation: \ˈren-dər\

Function:verb

Inflected Form(s):ren·dered; ren·der·ing

Etymology: Middle English rendren, from Anglo-French rendre to give back, surrender, from Vulgar Latin *rendere, alteration of Latin reddere, partly from re- + dare to give & partly from re- + -dere to put — more at date, do

Date: 14th century

transitive verb
1 a: to melt down <render suet> ; also : to extract by melting <render lard> b: to treat so as to convert into industrial fats and oils or fertilizer
2 a: to transmit to another : deliver b: give up , yield c: to furnish for consideration, approval, or information: as (1): to hand down (a legal judgment) (2): to agree on and report (a verdict)
3 a: to give in return or retribution b (1): give back , restore (2): reflect , echo c: to give in acknowledgment of dependence or obligation : pay d: to do (a service) for another
4 a (1): to cause to be or become : make <enough rainfall…to render irrigation unnecessary — P. E. James> <rendered him helpless> (2): impart b (1): to reproduce or represent by artistic or verbal means : depict (2): to give a performance of (3): to produce a copy or version of <the documents are rendered in the original French> (4): to execute the motions of <render a salute> c: translate
5: to direct the execution of : administer <render justice>
6: to apply a coat of plaster or cement directly to intransitive

verb: to give recompense
— ren·der·able \-d(ə-)rə-bəl\ adjective
— ren·der·er \-dər-ər\ noun

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:21 am

It may be a bit early, but let's not forget perhaps the most famous use of this word, "Render unto Caesar."
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:16 pm

If you've ever been rent with indecision on whether to become a vegetarian, a walk or drive past a rendering plant ought to push you way over the edge.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:28 pm

Vegetarians are wimps!
If you like laws and sausages, you should never watch either one being made.
Widely attributed to Otto von Bismark

Variations:

Brainyquote.com:
Laws are like sausages, it is better not to see them being made. --Bismark
Wikiquote.org has a plethora of variations in the Disupted section of Bismark quotes.

And if you like sausage, try that Mid-Atlantic delicacy, scrapple. Mmmm! A true testament that they use every part of the pig but the squeal!

Stargzer had to import his own scrapple and canned hominy when he lived in Massachusetts.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:09 am

I think that scrapple would be tough for me to get down.

Glad to see the South isn't the only ones with some, um, interesting foods.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitterlings

Mmmmmmm...chitlins. Good if you don't know what you're eating. However, once known, you can't unknow it.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:04 am

Back in the Johnny Carson Era (for you youngsters out there, Carson was host of the Tonight Show for 29 years before Jay Leno), the late Flip Wilson was guest-hosting and had Lara Parker, the bewitching blonde actress with deep blue eyes who played the vampire Angeliqe from Dark Shadows on the show. Another 60's teen heartthrob! He tossed out a line only Flip Wilson could have gotten away with: "So, I hear you're a spook! Do you like being a spook? I do!"

At the end of the show he had a long buffet table set with Soul Food: collards, black-eyed peas, chittlin's, the whole nine yards. When she picked up a chittlin' and asked him, "What's this?" he said, "Eat it first, then I'll tell you!"

I miss him! He was a really funny guy.

She's still around, and still lookin' great!
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”