gluttony

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Cacasenno
Lexiterian

gluttony

Postby Cacasenno » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:30 am

Xmas and New Year. With this two holidays we have to be particularly careful not to indulge in one of the capital/deadly/cardinal sins: gluttony.
English does not seem to be too inclined in distinguishing between gluttony and other pleasures associated with taste; I will thous use French to recommend:
contain your glouttonery in favor of your gourmandise.
The latter is decidedly healthier and satisfying.

gluttony

GLUT'TONY, n. Excess in eating; extravagant indulgence of the appetite for food.

1. Luxury of the table.

Their sumptuous gluttonies and gorgeous feasts.

2. Voracity of appetite.

Should you still want to indulge, however, be it a comfort for you to know that someone must have said that, of the seven sins, the five pertaining to the head are indeed capital whilst the other two (the ones from the belt down) could be classified as venial. Not very spiritual innit? Take it cum garanus salis
:twisted:

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:19 pm

I've never heard this used in a positive sense, as in "luxury of the table." Gluttony is always bad.

However, as we segue from Thanksgiving to Christmas and the New Year, this is a good word to keep in mind.

Should they manage to avoid gluttony, the bon vivants of our at times somewhat hedonistic society will escape the terrible feelings of crapulence often associated with it.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:22 pm

As if anyone pays any attention to the Seven Deadly Sins
other than the producers of the movie "Seven".
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”