Disposition

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
duggles
Junior Lexiterian

Disposition

Postby duggles » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:41 am

While I lay in bed this morning in that semi-dreamlike state, a word popped into my head... (disposition). It seemed a bit strange to me so when I got out of bed I looked up the etymology and found it quite interesting.

Originally "dispose" seems to have meant to put something in it's proper place and I suppose the trash pile could be thought of as a proper place for a lot of stuff, but the meaning we most often associate with "disposition" seems to have come from the astrological aspect of the planet's positions and how their dispositions are supposed to affect ours.

Also interesting is how the phrase "I am not disposed to do something or other" means that you are "not in the position to... etc." I think it was from a time before disposable came to mean what it means today.

I thought all that would make it worth mentioning as a candidate for "good word of the day" especially since we seem to have evolved into such a "disposable" society.

whaddaya think?

cheers - duggles :D :?:
Life is short, but it's wide!
-- Chuck Pyle --

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:21 pm

My think is thus; good suggestion. Let's hope it gets taken up soon.

I must say, I've always just looked upon disposition as a temperament term. All the other tie-ins I've know, but never really associated them with each other.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”