Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
User avatar
Grand Panjandrum
Posts: 1197
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:33 pm
Location: Middle Tennessee


Postby skinem » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:00 am


Pronunciation: \ˈskwē-ˌjē\

Variant(s): also squil·gee \ˈskwē-, ˈskwil-\

Function: noun

Etymology: origin unknown

Date: 1844

: a blade of leather or rubber set on a handle and used for spreading, pushing, or wiping liquid material on, across, or off a surface (as a window) ; also : a smaller similar device or a small rubber roller with handle used by a photographer or lithographer

transitive verb

Inflected Form(s):squee·geed also squil·geed; squee·gee·ing also squil·gee·ing

Date: 1883

: to smooth, wipe, or treat with a squeegee

Squilgee?? Has anyone ever heard the variant? Is it a regional thing?
Last edited by skinem on Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Grand Panjandrum
Posts: 5337
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:31 am
Location: Finger Lakes, NY

Re: Squeegee

Postby Slava » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:22 pm

skinem wrote:Squilgee?? Has anyone ever heard the variant? Is it a regional thing?
I sure haven't ever heard it. Dictionary.com has "squillagee," to boot. It gives no clue as to any regional usage, though.

It does, however, raise the idea that it derives from a corruption of the word "squeeze."

This was first posted a year and a half ago, so perhaps there's a new member who has come across the alternates.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests