candid

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Klimt
Lexiterian

candid

Postby Klimt » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:49 pm

1. frank; outspoken; open and sincere: a candid critic.

2.free from reservation, disguise, or subterfuge; straightforward: a candid opinion.

3.informal; unposed: a candid photo.

4.honest; impartial: a candid mind.

In that case, of course, people are not spiteful in silence, but moan; but they are not candid moans, they are malignant moans, and the malignancy is the whole point.

He had his mother's candid brow and fine, reflective eyes.

Every view we may take of the subject, as candid inquirers after truth, will serve to convince us, that it is both unwise and dangerous to deny the federal government an unconfined authority, as to all those objects which are intrusted to its management.
Whoever wants to know something about me - as an artist which alone is significant - they should look attentively at my pictures and there seek to recognise what I am and what I want.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:59 pm

It took me a couple of moments to get the gist of just what a "candid moan" might be, but I think I've twigged to it.

'Tis a shame so few political candidates are candid. Then again, if they were, they wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in Hades of getting elected.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”