perquisite

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Klimt
Lexiterian

perquisite

Postby Klimt » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:45 am

pur-kwuh-zit]

1.an incidental payment, benefit, privilege, or advantage over and above regular income, salary, or wages: Among the president's perquisites were free use of a company car and paid membership in a country club.
2.a gratuity or tip.
3.something demanded or due as a particular privilege: homage that was once the perquisite of royalty.

For even the high lifted and chivalric Crusaders of old times were not content to traverse two thousand miles of land to fight for their holy sepulchre, without committing burglaries, picking pockets, and gaining other pious perquisites by the way.

It was enough to drive Rabourdin out of the service; but how could he give up his salary of eight thousand francs and perquisites, when they constituted three fourths of his income and his household was accustomed to spend them?

In a village, particularly, two people who robbed the community of its perquisites in this respect would be looked upon as "enemies of the people," and their joint life would begin under a social ban which it would cost much subsequent hospitality to remove.
Whoever wants to know something about me - as an artist which alone is significant - they should look attentively at my pictures and there seek to recognise what I am and what I want.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:41 pm

Ah, the perks of the high-end life. Then again, simple insurance in a middle-income job is a perk, too. And citizens of each country have perquisites available to them that are denied visitors.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:20 pm

in a country that gives perquisites to anyone who
walks across the border, denying perquisites to
folks who have worked their entire lives for them.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”