pecksniffian

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
sardith
Lexiterian

pecksniffian

Postby sardith » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:09 pm

Wow, I placed this word in the search box, fully expecting that it would've had its treatment before, but then... :shock:

I like the sound of this one...'pecksniffian'. Can you tell us more about it in a column please, Doc? :?

Also, can you tell me if 'Pharisaical' is a proper synonym for 'pecksniffian'?

Thanks,
Sardith 8)
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
~Mark Twain, [pen name for Samuel Clemens], American author and humorist, (1835-1910)~

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:25 pm

I've seen this one before someplace, but can't remember where. It's from Dickens, but I don't know how he came up with it.

As to Pharisaical being a synonym, my take is not really. I gather that Pharisaical is being pecksniffian about religious matters, whereas a pecksniff may just be a stickler for how things should be done. Felix Unger was a pecksniff, but not a religious one.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

sardith
Lexiterian

pecksniffian

Postby sardith » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:34 pm

Slava,

It does come from Dickens, a novel called, 'Martin Chuzzlewit', a character named, 'Seth Pecksniff'.

The reason I asked about the Pharisees, is because every internet dictionary I referenced 'pecksniffian', gave the phrase, 'hypocritically benevolent'. Then, I noticed the 'Pharisaical' as one of the synonyms, which gave me pause.

Maybe it is one of those things where a Pharisee is a pecksniffian, but a pecksniffian isn't a Pharisee? :?

Thanks,
Sardith :)
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
~Mark Twain, [pen name for Samuel Clemens], American author and humorist, (1835-1910)~

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”