What's the "Open Sesame"?

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
David McWethy
Lexiterian

What's the "Open Sesame"?

Postby David McWethy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:43 am

(Have pity on a neophyte, as this is my first post...)

I have a question for those who have had their GoodWord suggestions used by Dr. G: How did you do it?

At last count, I'd submitted 47 suggested GWs--none of which had been used in the past (although the GW Dictionary indicates that some words in it have been featured more than once)--and none were ever seen thereafter. Including my personal best: "Blimp" and/or "Dirigible", hoping for an [i]en passant [/i]reference to the difference between the two.

But some select few have had SEVERAL of their suggested words used, which brings me full circle: It couldn't have been mere coincidence that a few persons--through simple luck of the draw--managed to have their GW suggestions used; there must be some secret phrase or method of submitting that opens the door to the inner sanctum where the suggestions of these chosen few come to rest.

So what is it? (I promise I won't tell).

Many thanks.
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things...."

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:32 pm

I admit to a bit of confusion here. How can it be that you have suggested 47 words, but this is your first post?

Could you point out a few of the words you suggested? Maybe that would help people understand more.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

David McWethy
Lexiterian

Postby David McWethy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:16 pm

The simple explanation is that (1) I've just recently cleared up a logon problem which has kept me from being able to post; and (2) I didn't know that posting suggested GWs on this site was the ONLY WAY to get them to The Power That Be. (Yes, I knew that this forum was A WAY, but since--until the logon problem was resolved--my experience to date had been that the "forum" was "againstum").

Unable to use this method, then, I submitted them to ___ (no reason to mention names & get anyone in trouble); a reply indicated that they would be passed on to Dr. G.

As to examples: My latest joust at windmills was: <mortar, quietus, gasoline, commandeer, ministrations, odor and its son odiferous, melee, & julep> in addition to the previous whine about "blimp" and "dirigible".

Let me add this bit of dicta: My experience with this issue is only one facet of what has been a source of frustration to me; for lack of a better term I'd place it under the penumbra of "difficulties with the site". Examples: Under "Options" there is the notation "HTML is OFF". OK. fine--I'll just turn it ON. But no matter how my mouse cursor flits and dances around that area like a butterfly seeking oral gratification from a lily, the rigid vertical bar refuses to turn into a wanton helping hand. And of course (or off course) when I tried for the sake of accuracy to underline OFF above, my attempt came out as [u]OFF[/u].

Maybe that's because HTML is off. Soooo: To turn the HTML on I need to click on the option that I can't??? My brain hurts.

Enough frivolity; I hope this illuminates.

WBW

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:40 pm

The simple explanation is that (1) I've just recently cleared up a logon problem which has kept me from being able to post; and (2) I didn't know that posting suggested GWs on this site was the ONLY WAY to get them to The Power That Be. (Yes, I knew that this forum was A WAY, but since--until the logon problem was resolved--my experience to date had been that the "forum" was "againstum").
(2) I gather you can also supply them via the Dr.'s blog, but the readers of the Agora don't seem to go there, so they wouldn't know anything about them. My personal take is to prefer the Agora as then others can comment on the suggestions made. More interest may lead to more usage.
Unable to use this method, then, I submitted them to ___ (no reason to mention names & get anyone in trouble); a reply indicated that they would be passed on to Dr. G.

As to examples: My latest joust at windmills was: <mortar, quietus, gasoline, commandeer, ministrations, odor and its son odiferous, melee, & julep> in addition to the previous whine about "blimp" and "dirigible".
Nice words. I have long been a fan of quietus.
Let me add this bit of dicta: My experience with this issue is only one facet of what has been a source of frustration to me; for lack of a better term I'd place it under the penumbra of "difficulties with the site". Examples: Under "Options" there is the notation "HTML is OFF". OK. fine--I'll just turn it ON. But no matter how my mouse cursor flits and dances around that area like a butterfly seeking oral gratification from a lily, the rigid vertical bar refuses to turn into a wanton helping hand. And of course (or off course) when I tried for the sake of accuracy to underline OFF above, my attempt came out as OFF.

Maybe that's because HTML is off. Soooo: To turn the HTML on I need to click on the option that I can't??? My brain hurts.

Enough frivolity; I hope this illuminates.

WBW
As to the last part, I'd wager that it has something to do with your browser's security settings. If you wish, let us know what you're using and maybe one or more of us can help you out. My first suggestion is to make sure BBCode is enabled. I believe you can't do HTML without BBcode.

Hope this helps.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Computers can be weird. Since you've clearly succeeded in making these posts, you should be able to communicate pretty well with everyone on this site. Personally, I hope you hang around, because you write unusually well and show signs of erudition. I've been on since 07, but have had only 3 or 4 words picked up. Dr G did one of mine recently I had forgotten about as I had submitted it a year or two ago. So welcome to the forum and pitch right in. I've seen no one rejected.
pl

David McWethy
Lexiterian

Postby David McWethy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:57 pm

Since I'm still too newbie to know how to reply to individual posts (if such is possible I stand ready to be educated) I'll make this a scattergun "Thank you" to both of you.

Slava, when I wrote my earlier message and attempted to underline OFF by highlighting the word and clicking on the underlined u box, the result appeared on my screen as (what I'll write as) [bracketed u]OFF[bracketed/u].

But the copy of it you included in your reply had the word made presentable, which leads me to speculate that what I sees is not what you gets. A theory I'll test thus: :D Huzzah!

Perry, your comment "you write unusually well and show signs of erudition" leaves me flushed; I can go for a week on that one. Even though it makes me think of the remark "If you can fake sincerity, it doesn't matter what you say"; as long as I've got you fooled I'll tug at my forelock and humbly mumble "Thankee, sirrah". BTW: Did you know (speaking of "weird") that they've changed the rule to "I before E except after C or when it's related to computers"?

Yes, I can see that this could become a "toadaly awesome, Dude!" way to fritter away what could otherwise be productive hours (where's the emoticon with the twinkle in his eye?).

Mac

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:40 pm

Since I'm still too newbie to know how to reply to individual posts (if such is possible I stand ready to be educated) I'll make this a scattergun "Thank you" to both of you.
In the upper right of each post is the "Quote" button. Just add the "end quote" HTML where you want it. The start all over again, if you're breaking it up, as I'm doing here.
Slava, when I wrote my earlier message and attempted to underline OFF by highlighting the word and clicking on the underlined u box, the result appeared on my screen as (what I'll write as) [bracketed u]OFF[bracketed/u].

But the copy of it you included in your reply had the word made presentable, which leads me to speculate that what I sees is not what you gets. A theory I'll test thus: :D Huzzah!
I noticed that your all came out properly in my post, but decided to leave it so you knew it was essentially correct, just that the computers involved didn't quite feel like doing it at that moment. Don't forget that Preview will show you the results of what y'all's written. Now, you've got emoticons, can you use the buttons at the top of the composition box, too?
Yes, I can see that this could become a "toadaly awesome, Dude!" way to fritter away what could otherwise be productive hours (where's the emoticon with the twinkle in his eye?).

Mac
Fourth row, far right. Not a great one, but it's called "wink." :wink:

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:33 pm

Oh, and to return to your original question, here's a post from the GW on that very topic.

David McWethy
Lexiterian

I must be missing something....

Postby David McWethy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:47 am

Previously, on Adventures of the Newbie I wrote:
...I'm still too newbie to know how to reply to individual posts (if such is possible I stand ready to be educated)
and received this response:
In the upper right of each post is the "Quote" button. Just add the "end quote" HTML where you want it. The start all over again, if you're breaking it up, as I'm doing here.
From this end it looks like I've followed the instructions, but the result isn't what I was attempting: To respond directly to one individual poster instead of taking up space in a thread by broadcasting to all and sundry. Maybe such isn't possible by the very nature of a forum.

At any rate, I delved into my Profile and clicked on Allow BBCode (without knowing what it is); Options still show that HTML is OFF. My web browser is Internet Explorer.

Life's too short to belabor this much further, but I'm receptive to further instructions. For the nonce, I'll post some more GoodWord candidates.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:48 pm

Somewhere, not on this page, the is a place to post direct messages to individual users. Easy to do once you find the menu item. Most of us, however, do as you have done, replying in public to contribute to the discussion. One phenomenon of this board is that we often chase rabbits, some of which turn out to be of more interrest than the original post.
pl

David McWethy
Lexiterian

Postby David McWethy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:11 pm

I can grok that.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:18 pm

How to Reply to an Individual:

At the bottom of each post there are at least two more buttons: Profile and PM. PM stands for private message. Clicking that will allow you to send a private message to the person who posted that post.

Profile will show you the public part of each member's profile.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:22 am

I have been reading Dr Good Word from the get-go and have been posting for some time. I have had one of my suggestions used as a Good Word. I am content. I love the dialogue that follows any posting, even when we start chasing rabbits.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

David McWethy
Lexiterian

Postby David McWethy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:24 am

Well, I've drawn Perry a sheep, but there's no way that I can see to attach it, so I guess--with my word (blimp) having gotten the nod--I'll have to be satisfied with drawing this topic to a close.

After submitting offerings for nearly three months I discovered the route to the New World and will now sit back and rest on my laurels. (Hmm...I guess that would be wearing them in the wrong place, wouldn't it?).

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:29 am

Wal-Mart must have fogged yr brain a smidgen. If indeed you find how to transfer that sheep drawing, send it to Luke, not me. He's the one who obsesses about it. Says it comes from The Little Prince and has meaning for him. Meanwhile, I gotta check out the English for your Latin.
pl

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”