parapraxis

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
sardith
Lexiterian

parapraxis

Postby sardith » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:19 pm

(I hope that I have researched this correctly, Slava. I tried to follow the instructions you gave me on the 'mortified' thread.)

Anyhow, I am interested in the word, 'parapraxis', which is also know as, the 'Freudian slip'. It seems as though the 'Freudian slip' term is used when identifying verbal mistakes containing some sexual innuendo. Parapraxes, made up of two Greek words, seems to cover the rest of the catergories. Also, Spoonerisms and Malapropisms are considered types of parapraxes.

I'm interested...and would like to hear more! :D

Sardith :mrgreen:
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
~Mark Twain, [pen name for Samuel Clemens], American author and humorist, (1835-1910)~

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: parapraxis

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:15 pm

American Heritage:
A minor error, such as a slip of the tongue, thought to reveal a repressed motive.
Online Etymology:
parapraxis (n.)
"faulty action, blunder," 1904, from Modern Latin, from para- "contrary" (see para- (1)) + Greek praxis "a doing, transaction, business" (see praxis). In psychology, a minor error held to reveal a subconscious motive.
You are correct about the Freudian slip. Freud taught that all roads lead to Rome and based his psychoanalysis on that. If someone talked long enough, they would arrive at the root of their problems. That was a lot of his praxis. However, his concept of sex was much broader than he is usually credited with, and it included society's expectations and much else. His biggest contribution was probably the awareness of the subconscious mind.

BTW, praxis is a frequent term used among Biblical scholars. Paul regularly turns in his letters from doctrine to practice, i.e. ethical application.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:07 am

Remember that I say and spell his name Sick Man Fraud. I contend that nothing this man ever wrote or did is of any value and is indeed dangerous in all disciplines of life, including psychology and psychiatry. If I made the sign of the cross, I would make it at every mention of his name or opinions. He has done major hurt to the human race. Many psychiatrists have struggled to undo his mistaken rantings, but he still seems to be regarded by some. May his name be anathema. Perhaps I should not be so candid on this forum, but I sometimes have an impulsive reaction when my chain is jerked. Maybe I should see a shrink.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:36 pm

Some have said the chief thing Freud gave us is his own psychoanalysis. Still, I don't dismiss him so totally.
pl

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”