ossify

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
William Hupy
Senior Lexiterian

ossify

Postby William Hupy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:56 am

I have no idea why this word popped into my head this morning at yoga class. Then again maybe I do....I think it was during halasana.
William A. Hupy

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: ossify

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:25 pm

Aren't you supposed to be receptive at some points in yoga? Maybe it was a self-revelation or ethereal message. Or maybe your bones were protesting. Historically, I get my best ideas while shaving.
pl

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:24 pm

Stick with Savasana... :D

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:42 pm

I like the word ossify. My grandmother sometimes took a dim view of the male of our species. Her favorite attribution went something like this: “That man is a mossed-over, ossified, old fossil of a he-thing who is meaner than old Jay Gould; bless his heart.” If you are from the South you can say anything about anybody without fear of retribution if you end the tirade with "bless her/his heart."

About yoga: There is a move to remove yoga from public schools on the grounds that it is a religious exercise. This is sort of on the same order as the argument that Halloween and Valentine’s Day should not be observed in public schools because they are religious celebrations; a sort of, “You took away my Santa Claus so we are going to take away you’re your Great Pumpkin.” The problem cited about yoga is that all the yoga stances or moves are physical recitations of Hindu worship practices. But does that make it a religious exercise in a yoga class when none of the participants even know the origin? Some people think it is a slippery slope. Being an iconoclast, most of this does not have much meaning to me. I avoid them all.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”