Occidental

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
BarbaraK
Junior Lexiterian

Occidental

Postby BarbaraK » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:13 am

today's Good word, wester, reminded me of this :Occident/ Occidental.
We are very familiar with their opposites: Orient/Oriental
It became evident to me when I was teaching Spanish that the students did not realize "Occidente" was a cognate like "Oriente"
I rarely see or hear "Occident" or"Occidental" used. I knew of a company "Occidental Petroleum", based in California..the West.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Occidental

Postby Slava » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:47 pm

True, we rarely hear or see occidental. Could it be that as we, at least where I am, are the Occident, we don't use it?

Interestingly, Occident is related to occasion. An occasion is what happens when the appropriate things "fall" together. As in say, The Fourth of July fell on a Thursday this year.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:50 pm

We don't have occasion to use occident, because we use west instead. The Orient to me refers to China and Japan, while we in the west have begun saying the Middle East. I remember a slight jar when my seminary professors referred to the oriental mindset, when speaking of the Hebrew mindset, especially in the OT. The media frequently speak of us as "the west."
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:21 pm

I most sincerely hope that no one is truly referring to China and Japan as the Middle East!
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:29 pm

Not at all what I meant. I don't personally apply "orient" to the Middle East. Orient to me in synonymous with the far east. Many scholars refer to Middle Eastern ideas as the oriental mind.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:44 am

My many students from China, Taiwan, Japan, Thailand, and The Philippines are unanimous in not liking the word Oriental. They prefer the word Asian. Since the etymology of each means the same and we use them to mean the same, it may be strange to us. It is politically correct to call a people by the name they choose.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”