Alphadictionary.com

Our Sponsors

Technical Translation
Website Translation Clip Art

equivocate

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.

equivocate

Postby William Hupy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:42 pm

I find this interesting, even if I do not have it exactly correct. The Latin reduces to "equal voice". The Spanish equivalent "equivocado" translates, I believe, to "wrong". We English speakers use this word to describe language that is ambiguous. Pero, yo podria estar equivocado.
William A. Hupy
William Hupy
Lexiterian

Re: equivocate

Postby gailr » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:33 pm

Good suggestion, William. I've always thought of this as a synonym for 'weasel words', although the ambiguity of an equivocation depends on the ability to successfully send two different messages with one statement.

Merriam-Webster wrote:to use unclear language especially to deceive or mislead someone
gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:20 pm

Many times I think it is used with hesitation, implying that the person doesn't know exactly what to say. Other times, and even then, it does of course indicate an incorrect answer. I don't really want to equivocate here.
pl
Perry Lassiter
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:31 pm

I think I'll join the "weasel-words" idea here. Equivocation is an insincere attempt to give equal voice to competing theories.
Then again, it is also hemming and hawing and avoiding the meat of the matter.

Whatever. :D
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.
Slava
Grand Panjandrum

Return to Good Word Suggestions