oligarchy, oligarch

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
bnjtokyo

oligarchy, oligarch

Postby bnjtokyo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:36 am

1. Government by the few, 2. those making up such a faction, 3. a state governed by such a faction. An "oligarch" is a member of an oligarchy. Currently "oligarch" refers to an individual whose substantial funds allow that individual to influence governmental actions in a manner that increases those already substantial funds.

"Oligarchy" was first used in English at around 1600 and is derived from Greek "olig," "few, little" (from PIE "leig," "poor") + "-arch" referring to "ruler, leader" such seen in "matriarch" from Middle English "-arche" from Old French, from Late Latin "-arches" (the "e" has a macron over it), from Greek "-arkes" again with a macron on the "e"), from "arkhos" ruler, from "arkhein" "to rule" from PIE "arkhein" "to begin, rule, command." Seen in "archives," "autarchy" and perhaps "archiphoneme."

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: oligarchy, oligarch

Postby Slava » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:05 am

Rather coincidentally, Gail Collins at the NYT had a column on this just the other day.

It includes this line: “Oligarch” sounds more interesting than “superrich person with undue political influence.” Much like bnjtokyo's definition.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:19 pm

Gail Is frequently hilarious. From time to time she and David Brooks have a conversation separately marked in the New York Times. Informative and always funny.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:23 pm

Collins has an RSS feed available, so you never have to miss any of her work. I prefer her own columns to The Conversation, though. I've rather soured on Brooks lately.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

bnjtokyo

Postby bnjtokyo » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:42 pm

Not coincidentally. It was Ms Collin's column that got me wondering about the definition and etymology of "oligarch."

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:22 am

Robert Michels said: "Historical evolution mocks all the prophylactic measures that have been adopted for the prevention of oligarchy." Whilst he later became some kind of fascist, I struggle to find a counter to his iron law of oligarchy, especially in bleaker moments. I hope society will eventually find a way.
Iain

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”