bargain

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
bailey66
Junior Lexiterian

bargain

Postby bailey66 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:53 pm

Bargain

bar·gain (bärgn)
n.
1. An agreement between parties fixing obligations that each promises to carry out.
a. An agreement establishing the terms of a sale or exchange of goods or services: finally reached a bargain with the antique dealer over the lamp.
b. Property acquired or services rendered as a result of such an agreement.
3. Something offered or acquired at a price advantageous to the buyer.
v. bar·gained, bar·gain·ing, bar·gains
v.intr.
1. To negotiate the terms of an agreement, as to sell or exchange.
2. To engage in collective bargaining.
3. To arrive at an agreement.
v.tr.
To exchange; trade: bargained my watch for a meal.
Phrasal Verb:
bargain for/on
To count on; expect: "I never bargained for this tearing feeling inside me" (Anne Tyler).
Idiom:
into/in the bargain
Over and above what is expected; in addition.
[Middle English, from Old French bargaigne, haggling, from bargaignier, to haggle, of Germanic origin; see bhergh-1 in Indo-European roots.]
bargain·er n.
Synonyms: bargain, compact2, contract, covenant, deal1
These nouns denote an agreement arrived at after a discussion in which the parties involved promise to honor their respective obligations: kept my end of the bargain and mowed the lawn; made a compact to correspond regularly; a legally binding contract to install new windows; a covenant for mutual defense; ignored the requests that weren't part of the deal.
In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, Isa30:15

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: bargain

Postby Slava » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:34 pm

I cannot speak for anyone else out there in Agora-land, but I do like seeing quotes attributed and neatly edited, not simply dumped. A reason for suggesting the word would be nice, too.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”