staunch and stanch

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
William Hupy
Senior Lexiterian

staunch and stanch

Postby William Hupy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:31 am

You just have to love the English language and its sometimes contorted path. The above words are an example. Each led lives similar to drunken sailors on divergent paths coming from a common tavern. Probably. That is, probably from the Latin "stare", to stand and back even further to PIE "sta", also to stand. But then staunch morphed into watertight and subsequently "standing firm". (Side note: why are only Republicans referred to as staunch and not Democrats?) Granted stanch may have come from Latin for "stagnum" pond or pool and thus to a word for stopping the flow of blood.
William A. Hupy

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: staunch and stanch

Postby Slava » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:39 am

(Side note: why are only Republicans referred to as staunch and not Democrats?)

My theory is that the former wish to stand firm, holding to a conservative policy, while the latter are for moving along. I don't think you can be a staunch mover. A staunch supporter of something, yes, but then that can be on either side of the proverbial aisle.

Of course, too, one can be staunchly Democratic. I agree, however, that staunch Democrat doth sound off.

I'm also surprised this one hasn't been treated in the Dr.'s office. Stagnate would be a good one, too. Where did that g come from?

Perhaps a decent mnemonic device for differentiating stalactite/stalagmite. Stalagmites stand, as in stagnant water.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”