monkey puzzle

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Grogie
Senior Lexiterian

monkey puzzle

Postby Grogie » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:32 pm

I discovered this interesting name for a tree a few days ago. It names a tree of the species Araucaria that grows in the southern part of South America and some islands in the Pacific. A related tree is the Norfolk Island Pine.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: monkey puzzle

Postby Stargzer » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:44 pm

I discovered this interesting name for a tree a few days ago. It names a tree of the species Araucaria that grows in the southern part of South America and some islands in the Pacific. A related tree is the Norfolk Island Pine.
Hmmm! Monkey Puzzle Tree or Chilean Pine! Perhaps Uncronopio can shed some more light on this tree.

Aha! Wikipedia says:
The origin of the popular English name Monkey-puzzle derives from its early cultivation in Britain in about 1850, when the species was still very rare in gardens and not widely known. The proud owner of a young specimen at Pencarrow garden (website) near Bodmin in Cornwall was showing it to a group of friends, and one made the remark "It would puzzle a monkey to climb that"; as the species had no existing popular name, first 'monkey-puzzler', then 'monkey-puzzle' stuck. As a practical exercise, a monkey trying to climb one would not be so much puzzled as injured by the razor-sharp leaf edges. However, as monkeys are not found in the species' native range, the question does not arise. Prior to 1850, it had been called Joseph Bank's Pine or Chile Pine in Britain, both somewhat confusing as it is not a pine. The species' original Mapuche Native American name Pehuén is now also becoming more widely used as an alternative common name in English.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Grogie
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Grogie » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:47 pm

Thanks Stargazer. Wonderful information!

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:01 pm

I found this lovely pic:

kt
cool tree, I'm sure I've seen this live.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Re: monkey puzzle

Postby gailr » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:10 pm

Aha! Wikipedia says:
The species' original Mapuche Native American name Pehuén is now also becoming more widely used as an alternative common name in English.
This name sounds suspiciously like Nahuatl to me...

(not that there's anything inherently wrong with that...)

gailr

Grogie
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Grogie » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:35 am

Thanks for the wonderful picture Katy. I didn,t know what the tree looked like.

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:59 am

I wonder what its Spanish/Portuguese name is. I can't associate with anything I know. Anyway, I'm not much of a dendrologist myself.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:19 pm

You don't know squat about trees?
Say it ain't so, dude!
:)

gailr

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:30 am

Well, I do, I know trees can be big or small and have leaves or not. That's good enough, don't you think?

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:53 pm

Good enough, dude. Although, as the seasons change in colder climes, people occasionally toss around snooty terms such as deciduous and evergreen.

I am enjoying the constant fall and susurrus mounds of leaves from the aspens. What they lack in stature, compared to the Monkey Puzzles, they make up for in approachability.
gailr

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:36 pm

. . . I am enjoying the constant fall and susurrus mounds of leaves from the aspens. . . .
gailr
It is also sometimes said that aspen leaves are made from female tongues, and their quivering is due to women's inability to stop talking.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:42 am

It is also sometimes said that aspen leaves are made from female tongues, and their quivering is due to women's inability to stop talking.
Or, on the contrary, say only what they are instructed to say, as noted dendrologist Irving Lewis Libby indicates in a now famous letter :
... Out West, where you vacation, the aspens will already be turning. They turn in clusters, because their roots connect them....
Forsättningen följer, as we say here....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:31 pm

. . . Forsättningen följer, as we say here....

Henri
The load subsidence follows
Thanks (I think), SYSTRAnet.

Is that related to Pride going first?
Regards//Larry

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:24 am

I was wondering if anyone would read the links. Fortunately, some of the males on this board are no slouches at talking, either. :wink:
-gailr

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:22 pm

I was wondering if anyone would read the links. Fortunately, some of the males on this board are no slouches at talking, either. :wink:
-gailr
See my post under Res Diversa/New PhpBB Version. :twisted:
Regards//Larry

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”