Soak

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Soak

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:16 pm

Reading letters of CS Lewis, British academic and Christian thinker. He love to hike with friends over the English country side for several days at a time. At some points in his walk he invariably stopped to "soak." He also did frequent bathing, by which he meant swimming. We still have bathing suits, though swim trunks and bikinis are replacing them. While the US used to use "bathing" in this sense - we still have bath houses - I don't remember anyone saying or writing soak of anything but water. We may soak in a tub, or soak picked fruit to get the dirt off. But we never "soak" in the sun, which would certainly be preferable to the slang "laying out." We do say sun-bathe.
pl

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Soak

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:41 pm

I was wrong. I kept reading, and Lewis was in the home guard with a midnight watch where a one point they would stop and soak. I don't get it.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:51 pm

We do have the idea of things "soaking" in, as in getting the point. Soaked can also be a slang term for three sheets to the wind. Could they have been indulging at the local pub?

Another slang usage is to soak someone, as in to overcharge for services rendered.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:25 pm

Any of you Britishers familiar with the use of the word as Lewis used it in my original post?
pl

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:12 am

I'd definitely say all the uses mentioned so far would be familiar. I don't think a vigorous swim would be a soak, but a relaxed dip in warm waters could be. An old soak would be a elderly dipsomaniac. We would definitely soak in the sun. Metaphorically you could soak up knowledge.
Iain

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:10 pm

Being as C. S. Lewis was born in 1898, I'd go with pub-crawling, as someone in their 40s would have been wont to do before the pubs closed. Either that, or they just stopped to soak up the quiet of the night.
3. To drink intemperately or gluttonously. [Slang]
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun May 08, 2016 3:36 pm

It looks like stargzer may have solved this one.

Going back to the original post, don't we still say "lie in the sun and soak up some rays"? Or more simply, "Go out and soak up some sun".
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”