Paronomasia

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Paronomasia

Postby Stargzer » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:39 pm

par·o·no·ma·sia (păr′ə-nō-māzhə)

n.
1. Word play; punning.

2. A pun.

[Latin, from Greek paronomasiā, from paronomazein, to call by a different name : para-, beside; see PARA-1 + onomazein, to name; see ONOMASTIC.]

par′o·no·mastic (-măstĭk), par′o·no·masial (-māzhəl) adj.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2015 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
There was some punning going on on an Engineering board I frequent, quoted herewith. Max, alias Clive Maxfield alias Max the Magnificent (an Embedded Systems Guru born in England and now living and working in Huntsville, AL) is looking to have some flanges made to mount some LEDs around some ancient vacuum tubes to make them light up, and is looking for something to use as a seal, and wondered if rubber bands would work. I have no idea where a software design engineer encountered a work like paronomasia. You can view his project here. "RTV" is "Room Temperature Vulcanizing" silicone sealer, the stuff that comes in small tubes and large cartridge tubes to fit a "caulking gun" for doing things like sealing around showers, bathtubs, and windows.
Don't use rubber bands
elizabethsimon 9/11/2015 12:10:19 PM

Using rubber bands for seals is probably a bad idea. In my experience, rubber bands have a relatively short life after which they turn into a sticky goo that will NOT bring a smile to your face...

-----

Re: Don't use rubber bands
Clive"Max"Maxfield 9/11/2015 12:22:09 PM

@Elizabeth: Using rubber bands for seals is probably a bad idea. In my experience...

Party pooper! So, what do you recommend oh wise one?

-----

elizabethsimon 9/11/2015 1:09:10 PM

I'm not sure exactly but I'd be tempted to peruse the aisles of my local home improvement or automotive supply store for gasket or sealing materials. I'm assuming that what you want is something with just enough "give" to hold the flange securly in place while being easy to apply for assembly and disassembly.

-----

betajet 9/11/2015 1:16:33 PM

Elizabeth wrote: I'd be tempted to peruse the aisles of my local home improvement or automotive supply store for gasket or sealing materials.

I second this. You can get gasket-making RTV in a tube, usually available in black or bright blue so that chacun a son goo.

-----

Max The Magnificent 9/11/2015 2:12:28 PM

@Elizabeth: I'm assuming that what you want is something with just enough "give" to hold the flange securly in place while being easy to apply for assembly and disassembly.

You took the words right out of my mouth!

-----

Max The Magnificent 9/11/2015 2:15:26 PM

@betajet: ...usually available in black or bright blue so that chacun a son goo.

Chacun a son gout? (You say tomato, I say...)

-----

antedeluvian 9/11/2015 2:23:16 PM

Max
Chacun a son gout? (You say tomato, I say...)

Since betajet is talking about RTV, I suspect "goo" is an intentional bilingual pun.

Clive"Max"Maxfield 9/11/2015 2:31:38 PM

@antedeluvian: ...I suspect "goo" is an intentional bilingual pun.

Dang -- you are of course correct -- Betajet does tend to converse in multiple lexicons and languages -- so this was an "intentional international bilingual paronomasia," as it were.

-----
Stargzer 9/11/2015 3:41:47 PM

As Edison said to Tesla, "My son, I'm afraid you just don't understand the American idea of a joke."

Alliterationally, I loved the double-entendre (or double-entendre) of goo/gout for that gooey substance in a tube.

What if your flange is made of some resilient substance that serves as its own seal?

Otherwise, find a really good auto parts place or some other place that has a large assortment of O-rings.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Paronomasia

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:31 pm

If using rubber bands for seals is unwise, what about using rb's for walruses?
pl

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Paronomasia

Postby Stargzer » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:25 pm

I'll be copying that comment to the board, Perry!
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”