Skosh

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Skosh

Postby Stargzer » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:25 pm

I see that this one is not in the Goodword Dictionary. I'm surprised it was never suggested. Then again, why didn't I suggest it many years ago?

I'm reminded of it now because I'm watching The Invisible Man on Svengoolie and they did a "commercial" for a ficticious drink named Skōshe! -- a bottle with just a swallow of liquid in the bottom: "Just a Skōshe!"
"When you want a little refreshment, Skōshe! is as little as you get!" ... "Refreshment is just a swallow away, and, that's all it is, just a swallow!"
They spelled it with the o-macron (ō) and an "e" and an exclamation point (!) at the end. I guess they could trademark that!
skosh

"a little bit," Korean War armed forces slang, from Japanese sukoshi "few, little, some."
skosh (skōsh)

n.
Slang
A small amount; a bit: "This is a well-plotted, economical thriller. Although the beginning is a skosh slow, [the author] picks up the pace" (T. Jefferson Parker).

[Japanese sukoshi.]
I remember using this slang back in the late 1960s.
"Pour some water in here."
"How much?"
"Oh, just a skosh."
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

eberntson
Lexiterian

Re: Skosh

Postby eberntson » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:09 pm

So the scotch bottle only has a slosh left. Bottoms up!

Thanks I always thought the last swallow in the spirit bottle must have a name, thus "slosh". With all the tipsy imagination out there some one must have named that ullage.
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Skosh

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:17 pm

Another word or meaning, is it scosh that rumor or scotch that rumor, or what?
pl

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”