"Nuclear"

You have words - now what do you do with them?
pat1066
Junior Lexiterian

"Nuclear"

Postby pat1066 » Wed May 10, 2006 1:29 pm

Since our President has refused to learn the correct pronunciation of this word, I have heard many more people mispronouncing it than ever before. I suspect soon we will be seeing it misspelled in print as well. (Nucular?) Am I a fuddy-duddy, or are others upset by this?

By the by, I have just found this wonderful web site and bulletin board. It is comforting to find there are still people who care about the language left in the world. Hello to all.

Pat

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed May 10, 2006 1:32 pm

I like my language pristine, but I guess I have a few other things to be upset about.

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Wed May 10, 2006 7:43 pm

If the two posts above had been in a Romance or Slavic language, where a single word is used for both language and tongue, I would have been able to make a pun and say that I like my "language" with onions, thank you very much.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Wed May 10, 2006 7:47 pm

That or you could have used the word tongue to make my life easier.

Brazilian dude, who feels gypped for paying 70 dollars for a Cyrillic keyboard shipped to Brazil.
Languages rule!

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Thu May 11, 2006 7:12 am

Although I've bitten my own tongue (metaphorically) on many occasions, I've never felt the urge to eat another animal's tongue.

BD, I hope that's a good keyboard!

-Tim

hotshoe
Junior Lexiterian

Postby hotshoe » Thu May 11, 2006 9:51 am

I watched my father eat tongue, along with certain other unspeakable bits. I, myself, have been hungry, but have never actually starved. So I, too, shall pass. Thank-you ever so much. As to the nuclear/nukular debate, I can say only that it must be embarrassing to have elected an unrepentant buffoon to your most powerful political post. Twice.

-Mark

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu May 11, 2006 3:33 pm

:lol: And here I thought that the discussion of nukular issues was about what to do with nukules (those pesky bits of radiation that remain after you nuke a target). :roll:

By the way Hotshoe. [Apropos of unrepentant buffoons] There were hopes of electing a professional clown to office but the United Brotherhood of Clowns came to a deadlock over whether to nominate Crusty the Clown or Bozo. (The Bozo vote got very fragmented as some wanted the Detroit Bozo, some the Cleveland Bozo, and others the Chicago Bozo.)
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu May 11, 2006 7:46 pm

Consider the irony that Bozo the Clown, begotten by Capitol Records, lacked the necessary clout to win the, ah, mandate...
-gailr

hotshoe
Junior Lexiterian

Postby hotshoe » Fri May 19, 2006 4:24 pm

Oh, I like this place.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat May 20, 2006 9:36 pm

I watched my father eat tongue, . . . As to the nuclear/nukular debate, I can say only that it must be embarrassing to have elected an unrepentant buffoon to your most powerful political post. Twice.

-Mark
Well, buffoon or not, he's OURS, so bite your tongue. WE can complain about him all we want. Just like the citizens here, "If you don't vote, you got no right to complain."
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Spiff
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Spiff » Tue May 23, 2006 3:42 am

Maybe if he wouldn't meddle in other countries' business, they wouldn't complain.
Spaceman Spiff

"The capacity for humankind to centralize its importance in the grand scheme of things is quite impressive."
- Tim Ward

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue May 23, 2006 10:26 am

NO NUKES! Microwaved foods are not as good for you. :)

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue May 23, 2006 3:30 pm

Maybe if he wouldn't meddle in other countries' business, they wouldn't complain.
Well, yeah, I think we should have stayed out of Iraq and concentrated on flattening Afghanistan, especially at the Pakistani border, until we found bin-Laden and his hench-men. Disposing of a few old nukes on the mountains would help level them, although it would be harder to find any pieces worth picking up.

On the other hand, I guess we should have just left Saddam in Kuwait way back when and let the Arabs come to the Kuwaitis' aid. I'm just ashamed that after that effort, the West, including Europe, let the Serbs and Croats butcher the Bosnians. Bosnia's problem was that they had no oil under their ground. I have an old pair of insulated winter boots that were quite comfortable and warm. One day I looked at them and saw something I'd missed before: the words "Made in Yugoslavia." Too bad they didn't continue to make boots instead of war.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue May 23, 2006 8:07 pm

I think that it is pretty cool that Tim is quoted in Spaceman's 'signature'. I agree with the intent of the quote as well.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Wed May 24, 2006 8:53 pm

BD, I hope that's a good keyboard!
Клавиатура приехала сегодня а это второе сообщение, которое я пишу ей.
My keyboard got here today and this is the second message I've written with it.

Brazilian dude, now also po-russki.
Languages rule!

Return to “Grammar”