Compulsory or optional?

You have words - now what do you do with them?
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:44 pm

how does a Gumby hurt?

mark gets-confused-by-all-the-animation-creatures Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:00 pm

sluggo, sluggo, sluggo, have you learnt nothing?

The compulsory response is that, although several have pointed out various difficulties with the statements as presented, it is optional for people to present thoughts however they wish, even if suspecting that they may give us a mixed message. All usages are Right and True, if they are comprehensible to the speaker.

Any other course will result in being frog-marched through The Elements of Style, until you admit that you could care less. :wink:

Welcome, raymond. :D

-gailr
This could be fun to watch....
*makes popcorn, gets a cold drink*
Last edited by gailr on Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:37 pm

All usages are Right and True, if they are comprehensible to the speaker. Any other course will result in being frog-marched through The Elements of Style, until you admit that you care less. -gailr
Ever erudite, gailr. I must say I was flummoxed by the course of this thread. Like my Dad used to say, "Better to keep Mum."

I do love the visual of being frog-marched* through The Elements of Style, though. "Wait, officers...please desist....my participles are dangling, dammit."

-- PW

* Frog-march (1871) originated among London police and referred to their method of moving "a drunken or refractory prisoner" by carrying him face-down between four people, each holding a limb; the connection with frog perhaps being the notion of going along belly-down. By the 1930s, the verb was used in ref. to the much more efficient (but less frog-like) method of getting someone in an arm-behind-the-back hold and hustling him or her along like that.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

malachai
Junior Lexiterian

Postby malachai » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:16 pm

sluggo, sluggo, sluggo, have you learnt nothing?

The compulsory response is that, although several have pointed out various difficulties with the statements as presented, it is optional for people to present thoughts however they wish, even if suspecting that they may give us a mixed message. All usages are Right and True, if they are comprehensible to the speaker.
If that's a comment on my comments, let me just say: I never said that. You've misunderstood me. And if I did ever say that, I was wrong.
Any other course will result in being frog-marched through The Elements of Style, until you admit that you care less.
too painful to contemplate...

Return to “Grammar”