It, Robot

You have words - now what do you do with them?
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:18 pm

I'm mortifiedly afraid to ask about kitteh...
Strange expressions they has over there in Hoppre de Grass. :?
I assumed it was one of those generic Japanese kitty animé avatars, but I'm not so sure now, I'd rather anyone else asked so you helped me, Sluggo, hope we get the definitive answer. Ok, ok it's lolspeak, I guess it's some subculture thumb language.

mark not-that-adventerous Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

melissa
Junior Lexiterian

Postby melissa » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:47 am

My keyboard has a few keys due to my abuse
Oh my.

Ceiling kitteh?

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:08 pm

Ceiling kitteh?
It just gets murkier and curiouser.
A Google of "kitteh" returned at least this page, which by example transforms

“That’s a really cute cat. And look, he has a bow on his head!”
into
“OMG wau!! Dat beesing a kiti vary ful ov tewtul kutenis!! Bees wif da lukingz! Omg him gotz da bowwagez on himz hed lyk WTF?!?”

Are we on track here? Shall we then call kitteh the name of a dialect? Or body of contemporary argot?

The page gives detailed analysis of how they get there, and beyond. It doesn't really address the question of why though. Certainly not a shorthand :shock:

I writes in a stylised Pogospeak herein there but always with sum cents of irony and/door punnage. I jest cant see the point in the above project beyond avoidance of standard speling. :?:
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:53 pm

Are we on track here? Shall we then call kitteh the name of a dialect? Or body of contemporary argot?
A passing familiarity with teh kitteh helps in deconstructing what my neices and younger familiars are saying. But it does seem like an awful lot of work.

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:02 pm

A passing familiarity with teh kitteh helps in deconstructing what my neices and younger familiars are saying. But it does seem like an awful lot of work.
Uh-oh... teh? Back to the books... :?

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:09 pm

-gailr
a latter-day desperado, lone holdout against an avalanche of plastic shopping bags... :mrgreen:
Yes, I, too, come close to hurling expletives at the self-checkout at Home Despots. The programmers who design them should be condemned to use them!

As for plastic shopping bags, well, Gail, you're just one of those cat-owners whose charges can be trained to a litter box. :wink: As a dog owner, I let Dudley do his business outside where it doesn't smell up the house, and then use one of those ubiquitous bags to clean it up and deposit it in the trash can. They sell little rolls of plastic doggie-doo bags that you can attach to your leash for convenience, but why pay for a bag when you get so many for free? The city of Annapolis was pondering the banning of plastic bags, but fortunately I live out in the county. Besides, I find it easier to thread my arm through four or five plastic bags than to have to lug paper bags full of groceries two at a time and fumble with the house key. And the plastic bags are great for keeping your dirty laundry separate from your clean clothes in your suitcase when you travel, and they're free!
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:15 pm

and no one gets my Asimov reference and the Java? shee Maybe I should just quit.

mark no-one-appreciates-me Bailey
No, I must have missed it, too. I thought of the last lines from Arsenic and Old Lace:
[last lines]
Mortimer Brewster: No, no. I'm not a Brewster. I'm the son of a sea-cook! Ha! Ha! Chaaaaarrrge!
[he runs off across the cemetary]
Cab Driver: And I'm not a cab driver, I'm a coffee pot! [he puts one arm on his hip and holds the other like the spout of a coffed pot or a teapot]
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:33 pm

no, the original song goes 'oops Mr Moto, I'm a coffee pot', which sort of fitted with the anthropomorphized machines but since Isaac Asimov, a humble Russian emigre, reknown Scientist, and Sci-fi writer wrote:
Robot
I, Robot (1950)
among many other things, I just tossed his name in the song then ended with the java reference, I guess I need to make these things so much simpler. But then Slugger caught on, just greased his feet and slid off.

mark will-speak-more-slowly-next-time Bailey
Ah, my good friend, you speak of one of my favorite songs: Java Jive, sung by many, including the Ink Spots and Manhattan Transfer, to name two good versions.

Mr. Moto, of course, was played by the great Peter Lorre. How he got into the song I have no idea.

There is a two-minute short from 1943 listed on IMDB:
Soundtracks for
Java Jive (1943)

"Java Jive"
Music by Ben Oakland
Lyrics by Milton Drake
Performed by Al Donahue and His Orchestra
It was written by Oakland and Drake in 1940. Here's a link to the lyrics and guitar chords.

Note from Wikipedia on Asimov:
Asimov was one of the most prolific writers of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. His works have been published in nine of the ten major categories of the Dewey Decimal System (all except the 100s, Philosophy).
Regards//Larry

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:37 pm

Actually it's Asimov we don't appreciate. I take it he was a coffee drinker? I dunno...
Oooh; them are fighten words oncet Gzer reads this thread... :lol:
Given Sluggo's avatar, let's hope he obeys the Three Laws, unlike Bender on Futurama.

Besides, llike Bender, we can always tell him to "Bite my shiny metal ... !"
Regards//Larry

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:38 pm

Sorry, I truly knoweth not this song. But I do know from coffee.
Then you coffee lore is sadly lacking, my friend ...
Regards//Larry

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:54 am

Richard Thompson performed Java Jive at the Orange Peel, here in Asheville ~10 days ago. It was part of his 1,000 years of music project.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:06 pm

I had no idea Richard was that old. :shock:
Sluggo goes to his record rack to see if the Fairport Convention LPs have crumbled to dust...

Even less idea who Bender* may be, but just for clarity I meant appreciate in the sense of "get the reference". Without Asimov the writer, indeed, this thread would have no name at its birth. I thought it rather clever. :oops:
*Though I do remember Ariel Bender's real name is Luther Grosvenor. Ha.

[/back to my wondrous cup of Peet's]
~ ~ ~ ~ Slug-prefers-coffee-pour-to-coffee-lore-go

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:25 pm

Even less idea who Bender* may be, ...
~ ~ ~ ~ Slug-prefers-coffee-pour-to-coffee-lore-go
You had to ask ...

From the Wikipedia entry on Futurama:
Bender Bending Rodríguez (voiced by John DiMaggio)

Bender is a foul-mouthed, alcoholic, cigar-smoking, kleptomaniacal, misanthropic, egocentric, ill-tempered, pessimistic robot originally programmed to bend girders for suicide booths. He is Fry's best friend and roommate.
In short, except for the bending girders part, Bender is a lot like me. :shock: Well, I did stop my pipe and cigar smoking years ago, too ...

A sampling from the Wikipedia article on Bender:
Bender, full name Bender Bending Rodríguez, designated Bending Unit 22, is a fictional robot character in the animated television series Futurama. He is voiced by John DiMaggio. In the series, Bender plays the role of a comic anti-hero, and is described by Turanga Leela as an "alcoholic, whore-mongering, chain-smoking gambler"[1] and by himself as possessing a "swarthy Latin charm". ...

Origin

In the series, Bender is a robot built by Mom's Friendly Robot Company at its plant in Tijuana, Mexico ("America's Heartland"), circa 2998. He is a Bending-Unit 22, serial number 2716057, chassis number 1729. He was created for the task of bending metal girders for the construction of suicide booths. He swears, fights, argues, smokes cigars, drinks, and gambles. A petty thief, Bender steals other peoples' wallets, watches and other valuables at any opportunity. He claims to have no emotions; but occasionally he is portrayed as having them, usually for comedic purpose. The series provides contradictory information about Bender's origin. ...

Species

Robot powered by a MOS Technology 6502as shown by an F-Ray scan. ...

Bender uses alcohol as fuel to recharge his fuel cells, and produces greenhouse gases as a result in the form of fire whenever he belches or sometimes farts. He suffers symptoms of inebriation when he stops drinking, becoming disoriented and developing rust around his mouth, the robot equivalent of a five o'clock shadow. While alcohol is his primary fuel source, he is also capable of processing mineral oil, dark matter, and photons (solar energy). He is also equipped with a nuclear pile as revealed in "Godfellas". ...

Celebrity encounters

During several episodes, Bender has had encounters with celebrities. ...

In Bender's Big Score, when sent back to the year 2000 to assassinate Fry, Bender unwittingly comes across a Philip J. Fry who works as an assistant for Al Gore's presidential campaign in Florida. In his attempt to kill him, he destroys Gore's pile of recounted votes, leading George W. Bush to win the election. Twelve years later, when he spots Fry coming out of a boat from the North Pole, he hails a hybrid taxi (driven by Al Gore) to go after him. ...

Regards//Larry

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:31 am

Back on the topic of personal pronouns with inanimate objects:
There's some TV weatherperson-speak I find utterly distracting, such as addressing the audience in the 2nd person ("and Denver, you're seeing snow right now..."); but today on the Weather Channel one guy actually addressed a hurricane that way: ("Ike, you're a island threat toward this weekend").

Really makes the map come to life. Perhaps they're all closet animists.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:40 pm

Sluggo coming back on topic? Next thing you know, the Republicans will nominate a woman for Vice-President!
Regards//Larry

Return to “Grammar”