'like' and 'as'

You have words - now what do you do with them?
Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:19 am

I fear we may have frightened off Kathleen in Norway. I hope not.
Maybe she's Thor at us for being neither helpful Norse erious.
Hope she's not afjord to come back...
Ah, the usual serenade of sluggo and skinem! :lol: Music to my slowly rotting mind. For I am not afjord of the erudition, quality and volume of infinite, may I add, information around here. It does a soul in hiding good to have a laugh created by minds such as you'ins. :D
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:34 pm

I fear we may have frightened off Kathleen in Norway. I hope not.
Maybe she's Thor at us for being neither helpful Norse erious.
Hope she's not afjord to come back...
Ah, the usual serenade of sluggo and skinem! :lol: Music to my slowly rotting mind. For I am not afjord of the erudition, quality and volume of infinite, may I add, information around here. It does a soul in hiding good to have a laugh created by minds such as you'ins. :D
Oh, Huny, if this is music, you really need to get out more!

Check out some of Sluggo's real music to do a hiding soul good... Lutefisk is an instrument, isn't it?

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:26 pm

Valhalleluia! The return of Huny's avatar is a byte for Thor eyes.

And looking not a bit Norse for wear. :?
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:57 pm

Valhalleluia! The return of Huny's avatar is a byte for Thor eyes.

And looking not a bit Norse for wear. :?
Ye Gods, 'tis good to be back! The Agora looks great on me new Dell LCD monitor, if I say so myself.

...if only Viking get me mouse to stop rolling off the right side of the screen. :!:
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:30 am

Well, that's one back from the silents. Welcome back, Huny. Though I don't know you from earlier, I've seen your posts many a time, and you've been quiescent for some time. Now all we have to do is get some of the other old-timers, Agora-post-wise speaking, to pipe up.

BTW, you might want to check the spelling of one word in your signature.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:11 am

Well, that's one back from the silents. Welcome back, Huny. Though I don't know you from earlier, I've seen your posts many a time, and you've been quiescent for some time. Now all we have to do is get some of the other old-timers, Agora-post-wise speaking, to pipe up.

Whoopsie! I am famous for my typos around here. Keeps things interesting. :lol: I have been know to have a good case of key board dyslexia every now and again, too.

Thanks for the welcome back!

Does anyone know where Baily is?

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:39 pm

That's the authentication test. It tells us she's not spam.
(uh-oh-- fixed?)
Hey, wait your turn!
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:42 pm

I think Mark said something about chasing after one of the bunch in search of some potassium, but he's been around.

It's good to hear again from our a-peal-ing Southern Belle! :lol:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:42 pm

I think Mark said something about chasing after one of the bunch in search of some potassium, but he's been around.

It's good to hear again from our sweet, a-peal-ing Southern Belle! :lol:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:59 pm

That's the authentication test. It tells us she's not spam.
(uh-oh-- fixed?)

Hey, wait your turn!
Yes, it's fixed. :oops: You know I always act on "re-construction" critisim quickly, unless, of course, I felt the need to drive someone up the wall. And If I took a nip of what is behind "door #1" link above and get three sheets to the wind, I could do exactly that.

At last,someone who understands me! :D

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:06 pm

It's good to hear again from our a-peal-ing Southern Belle! :lol:
I send many thanks to all the worm welcome-backs-ers from atop my sweet Georgia pine tree. Peach pie anyone? :wink:

Ouch-I think I just sat on a pine cone...

Kathleen in Norway
Junior Lexiterian

Grammar: 'like' and 'as'

Postby Kathleen in Norway » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:14 am

Hello, thanks to you out there who did reply. I have been lost a while, and I don't really know how this Alpha Agora works. But it is something to work at, I appreciate this.

I read in an old grammar that 'like' connects two things, while 'as' connects two clauses. Fx: This is like that, but 'do it as I told you to'. A is like B, A does it as B does.

Now, this would not be very important! But I am living outside the States and do not get daily English input as it is used. (Ja, as.)

I do editing work for Norwegians writing in English. And I do not want to be insisting on archaic language if indeed it is so!

So I'd appreciate help, for current English correctly spoken!

Kathleen in Norway -- ja, American. Went to Africa with the Peace Corps and met this Norwegian..... K.
Last edited by Kathleen in Norway on Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:21 am

There are some folks here who can be some great help in that regard, Kathleen...NOT speaking for myself...

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:40 pm

Kathleen, you might want to get yourself a copy of Strunk & White's "Elements of Style." It's basically the Bible for this kind of question. I may not have looked at mine in years, but that's only because I'm not using English professionally.

I've only met a few Norwegians, and they were all spies, (yes, they were, no joke) except for one, and he was a military attache, so is there much of a difference? What's yours?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Kathleen in Norway
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Kathleen in Norway » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:31 am

Hi, 'Slava'. Finally, somebody with clear, useful information! I will act on it immediately. Barnes & Noble provides overseas shipment -- some of them don't!

Aha - so you weren't one of those making such baaaaad puns!! (well, they were fun...)

Norwegian spies??? Spying on whom and for whom? I'll ask 'mine' about this when he is back - he is out on a 50-mi. bike trip, should be back in 2 - 3 hours. (Preparing for a major race.)

'Mine' is/was an engineer and math teacher. Worked in production in Sweden, and then 3 contracts in Africa. Inventive, thinks 'outside the box', and sports-minded.

(The 'was' is because we are now retired.)

Salud! Kathleen

Return to “Grammar”