Odd Adjectives from Nouns

You have words - now what do you do with them?
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:13 pm

Thanks for the lesson. I never could figure out the Alt+ thing. It never worked for me. Now I know why; I was using the numbers at the top, not the number pad. I much prefer using the keypad over the mouse, when I can.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:34 am

I think that "ALT-nnnn" entry technique dates back to the original IBM PC.

I first saw it documented in the Microsoft Basic manual, but was probably part of the BIOS for the keyboard, since it works in most of the data entry applications.

If you have a couple of special characters you use all the time it's faster to remember the ALT sequence than have to switch back and forth to CHARMAP.EXE or switch keyboard definitions. If you type a lot in another language, though, it's probably best to add the keyboard definitions and switch, although the layouts can be a pain to find an remember. For example, on the French keyboard, the "/" key is the "é" character.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

bnjtokyo

Postby bnjtokyo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:40 am

Did you see today's GoodWord? "Pixilated" is another example of an adjective formed from a noun by adding -(lat)ed with no intermediate verb. It doesn't seem strange at all, maybe because it's been around since 1848, according to the etymology dictionary.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:39 pm

Reviewing this a year later, I see someone referred to the prominence of past participles in the transformation into adjectival use. this shouldn't be surprising, since participles are normally used as adjectives. I hadn't thought of past participles in that way before, however.
pl

Return to “Grammar”