Some thing WICKED this way comes!

A discussion of word histories and origins.
gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:45 pm

Tortfeasor: one who commits wrong; a wrongdoer.

It is for this fear, that the good samaritan laws were enacted. The good samaritan doctrine as it is legally known, is a legal principle that prevents a rescuer who has voluntarily helped a victim in distress from being successfully sued for 'wrongdoing.' Its purpose is to keep people from being so reluctant to help a stranger in need for fear of legal repercussions if they made some mistake in treatment. Therefore, this doctrine was primarily developed for first aid encounters and every state does have its own adaptation of it. However, the crucial points are about the same.

First of all, a person is not obligated by law to do first aid in most states, not unless it's part of a job description obviously. Some states will consider it an act of negligence though, if we don't at least call for help.

The person rendering aid needs to use some sense, and the laws don't preclude filing or winning a suit. Information directly related to specific occupations and specific states is also available. Some people will sue for anything; in worst-case scenarios, their particular survivors are just as apt to attempt a suit if the witness(es) did not attempt to render aid.

So, a reasonable person learns a reasonable amount of first-aid (what he or she would hope to receive if the situation were reversed), hopes it will never be needed, and hopes for the best if it is. On the other hand, not passing by on the other side, but rendering aid to someone outside one's comfort zone, without calculating the return, is kind of what being a good Samaritan was all about in the first place, as I recall.

-gailr

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:06 pm

a lady for whom I worked cleaning her home and some daily care, died in her sleep. Upon geting there in the am, my regular schedule, I called 911 in a panic, they suggested I perform CPR, saying it was my choice, but since she was ice-cold I chose not to. to my shame,I have a phobia about touching dead things,

Kt

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:01 am

If she was cold, no amount of CPR would have helped--you only have about a 4 to 5 minute window to start. If you see someone collapse, they're still alive--but only for a short time.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:03 am

I know, she was dead, I really loved her I was very sad.

Kt

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:18 am

But there was nothing you could have done, short of standing by her bedside all night. Every night. Keep her in your heart, where she now belongs.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

badandy
Junior Lexiterian

Re: Some thing WICKED this way comes!

Postby badandy » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:01 pm

And in California, it can be "wicked awesome", but in the valley "wicked" has a few other meanings.
What Valley are you speaking of?
Habentne Gallinae Talones Acerbos?

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:42 pm

gailr:
On the other hand, not passing by on the other side, but rendering aid to someone outside one's comfort zone, without calculating the return, is kind of what being a good Samaritan was all about in the first place, as I recall.
Exactly! And don't expect people you help to be grateful. It's about "being good for goodness sake," not about being appreciated.

I guess morality is alot like speaking a foreign language. If you get it right no one notices and everything is clear and friendly, but get it wrong and you are a nescient foreigner and a unintelligible stranger.

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:19 am

A while back I watched a video clip from The Story of English. It told of a unique playful use of negatives in Tangerine Island, somewhere in New England (spelling uncertain, pronunciation uncertain and location uncertain :oops: ). There, "You are ugly none," means that you are very beautiful. If I remember correctly there is a slight pause between "none" and the rest of the sentence.
This is a while back but I think Flaminius refers to Tangier Island, which is part of Virginia, in the Chesapeake Bay, a lair of linguistic anomalies born of isolation (see also Georgia Sea Islands).
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

eberntson
Lexiterian

Postby eberntson » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:10 pm

[quote]And in California, it can be "wicked awesome", but in the valley "wicked" has a few other meanings. [/quote]

Sorry I mean the dialect "Valley Speak" that is so popular with California teenage girls. Now I hear it everywhere there are teenage girls, but it used to be limited to California. I imagine it is [i]like[/i], fro the LA valley where [i]like[/i], all the little air-headed chick hang out. [i]Like[/i], it's so tubular that you are bothering me about this man!.

Valley speak. Got it?! Sorry I was unclear.

Yes the dead are cold, and it is fine that you don't want to. Few people are comfortable with it.
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

Return to “Etymology”