Dudgeon

A discussion of word histories and origins.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Dudgeon

Postby Slava » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:50 pm

I recently saw this used to mean hilt, as in the blade had been shoved in up to the dudgeon. My dictionary says it is of unknown origin, and I'd never seen it used this way. What do you all think? Have you come across this usage? Or is your experience only with "in high dudgeon?"

Nice word, though, so if it hasn't been used before, perhaps I should suggest it as a Good Word.

Slava

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:20 pm

Two seperate words apparently.
dudgeon
1573, duggin, of unknown origin. One suggestion is It. aduggiare "to overshadow," giving it the same sense development as umbrage. No clear connection to earlier dudgeon (1380), a kind of wood used for knife handles, which is perhaps from a Fr. word.
I hope that you won't take dudgeon (high or low) at this missive.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

bnjtokyo

Postby bnjtokyo » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:13 am

Slava, I take it you have never seen or read Shakespeare's Macbeth. Please refer to Act II Scene 1, lns 55-57:

"........I see thee still,
And on thy blade and dudgeon gouts of blood,
Which was not so before."

At your kindest leisure,

BNJTOKYO

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Thank You

Postby Slava » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:09 pm

Thanks for the responses. While I may have read Macbeth, it would have been many years ago, and I didn't memorize it. It seems Shakespeare did pretty much everything first, eh?

I should have used one of my larger dictionaries, too. Then I would have seen that it is actually two words.

Regards,

Slava

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:48 am

Or just turn to the Online Etymology Dictionary. It's informative and fun.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Return to “Etymology”