Dr. Goodword on CNN News

What's new at alphaDictionary.com.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Dr. Goodword on CNN News

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:44 pm

I did short piece on some of the new words and and phrases for the CNN.com Opinions section. Click here for 2010 a year for playing games with words.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:15 pm

Most interesting. Thanks.
I agree with you on the fact that many will disappear.
I surely hope LOL goes the way of all flesh and soon.
It is positively maddening to see it used in so many
contexts where people cannot think of something else
to say intelligently.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:45 am

... I surely hope LOL goes the way of all flesh and soon.
It is positively maddening to see it used in so many
contexts where people cannot think of something else
to say intelligently.
No, LOL and its more intensive cousins (ROFL, ROFLMAO, and ROFLMMFAO) serve their purpose: to convey varying degrees of jocularity within a minimum of space, extensions of the "Smiley" emoticon. Now I need to go check out the article ...
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Dr. Goodword on CNN News

Postby Stargzer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:07 am

I did short piece on some of the new words and and phrases for the CNN.com Opinions section. Click here for 2010 a year for playing games with words.
Doc, I have to disagree with you on the Tea Party, although not as vociferously as some on the CNN site.

Today's Tea Party members are angry because even though they have representation, their representatives aren't listening and continue to tax the Middle Class so they can spend this country into a hole in the ground deep enough to reach China's deep pockets. That's where the "throw the bums out" mentality comes from.

Remember that the "Tea" in Tea Party comes from "Taxed Enough Already." Like any movement, the Tea Pary members comprise a spectrum from rational to irrational, but they all hold done belief in common: too much money is being spent unnecessarily.

I personally would rather have seen Wall Street Banks collapse than have their so-called "experts" receive multi-million-dollar bonuses for running our economy into the ground. That's why in general I'm cautious around so-called "Capitalists" who want to play around with my capital.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:45 pm

I totally agree about the Wall Street Banks and the
miserable bonuses those creeps receive. Let the banks
and the large corporations (notable gasoline, today)
fail. Let them feel what the rest of us feel.

The Tea Party could be the incipient form of a politicl
party. Agreeing or disagreeing with them matters not.
This country was founded on people disagreeing with
the established order.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Dr. Goodword on CNN News

Postby Slava » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:45 pm

Remember that the "Tea" in Tea Party comes from "Taxed Enough Already."
I do believe this one is a back-formation. The phrase came after the decision to call the movement the Tea Party.

Welcome back, by the way.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:29 pm

Danke, Herr Slava!

Speaking of portmanteau words, I ran across this VERY old made-up word at the Perseus Project:
Argentiextĕrĕbrŏnĭdes , ae, m.,

I. a word formed by Plautus in jest, as the name of one who is skilled in extorting money [argentum-exterebro], a sponger, Plaut. Pers. 4, 6, 21 (cf. id. Capt. 2, 2, 35).

A Latin Dictionary. Founded on Andrews' edition of Freund's Latin dictionary. revised, enlarged, and in great part rewritten by. Charlton T. Lewis, Ph.D. and. Charles Short, LL.D. Oxford. Clarendon Press. 1879.

The National Endowment for the Humanities provided support for entering this text.
It appears that English is not the only language that made up words on demand!
Regards//Larry

Return to “Site News”