My Favorite Dictionaries

What's new at alphaDictionary.com.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

My Favorite Dictionaries

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:33 pm

If you are interested in which dictionaries are at the top of my preference list, read today's blog: http://www.alphadictionary.com/blog/?p=1279
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:59 pm

This is an interesting theme, I do believe. While I like dictionaries, I cannot say I have a favorite, unless it's the OED, and I have to call my brother in St. Paul to use that one.

When I'm really intrigued and need to follow up on a word, I'll look at all the dictionaries I have available, but I can't claim one as a favorite.

How about the rest of the Agorans out there? Do you have a favorite?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:25 pm

Any more I do one of two things. If all I want is the meaning, I'll google it and read from the google page itself. If I want to go further, I will enter it on AlphaDictionary and choose one or more. Like Dr G, I have found American Heritage to be the best choice usually, even with etymology. Since I now have an i-phone always at hand, I resist the temptation to update my hardback. I doubt I would use it.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:03 pm

Interesting. So, to add to my query, does anyone out there still use a physical dictionary?

I admit, for convenience sake, I do use dictionary.com, but it does fail me at times, so I can't claim it as a favorite, just a tool.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Site News”