Agora Font Poll

What would you like to see on our site?

Do you want to change the font on the Agora?

No - This Font is Fine.
52%
Yes - A Serif Font (Times, for example)
44%
Yes - A Sans-Serif Font (Arial, Helvetica)
No votes
Yes - Wingdings
4%

Total votes: 25

Jeff hook
Junior Lexiterian

Re: Agora Font Poll

Postby Jeff hook » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:37 pm

PLEASE SHIFT THE FONT BACK TO TREBUCHET ! ! !

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:35 am

I agree with Jeff Hook:
PLEASE SHIFT THE FONT BACK TO TREBUCHET ! ! !
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:17 am

Why?

This font is much easier to read, and when words are bolded you can actually see the difference.

This is important because the Word of the Day uses bold to signify where the stress is. If people can't see it, what good is it?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Jeff hook
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Jeff hook » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:56 am

by Slava » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:17 am

Why?

This font is much easier to read, and when words are bolded you can actually see the difference.

This is important because the Word of the Day uses bold to signify where the stress is. If people can't see it, what good is it?
Hmmm... I'm surprised to see that you're advocating this "plain vanilla" font for this reason.

Yes, this "weak sister" font does throw boldfacing into greater contrast than is seen in Trebuchet, but that's only because the "regular weight" (jargon?) of this insipid font is so pale and faint. For persons who strain to read what's on the screen, this font don't cut it. (Not to mention that I think this font is inferior to Trebuchet in terms of its design, but that's just my personal preference.)

I'm a heavy user of Trebuchet in my local system and I'm well familiar with it. I'm also a heavy user of the Bulletin Board code formatting which is offered here.

I just checked the first FIFTEEN threads which are shown now in the Good Word Discussion forum or "board." I didn't see ANY use of formatting in any of your texts until you applied boldfacing now. I made extensive use of this site's BB formatting when I added my recent comments to multiple threads in Trebuchet, and I was pleased by the appearance of that text in all respects, including the contrast between "regular weight" and boldfacing.

This may have been the font which was in use when I was last active here years ago. The site may have been using a similar font in the Arial/Microsoft Sans Serif non-serif "font family" then but some screen shots which I saved in 2007 suggest the site was using this same font.
Come on! I think the contrast in Trebuchet was perfectly fine in that one respect! I think you're "reaching" with that comment!

Here's one old thread, "Allegory," which I added to the Good Word Discussion forum, probably when Dr. Beard was on vacation. (I "posted" all of the contents of one of Dr. Beard's E-mail newsletters, which I received WITHOUT formatting, i.e. in "Plain Text." That required me to create all of the usual formatting of the online versions of the GWOTD myself, using BB code here.) Notice I demonstrated my own use of all of that formatting, including boldfacing, text links (one of which is a functional link to an mp3 file), enlarged font sizes, different colors, etc. I mention this in order to point out that I not only view the different formatting features, I've used them here.

[ That "Allegory" thread is included in my current "View your posts" list, but, as I mentioned in my "Site Search" thread in this forum, the old "Allegory" thread isn't cited in site searches now. I see you commented in that thread about that exclusion of content which predated the recent software change from all site searches. ]

I saw that thread several times while this site was briefly using Trebuchet and I don't think Trebuchet diminished the effect of the formatting which I'd created myself.

Something tells me I'm fighting a losing battle, but it may all be moot anyway. It's an understatement to say that I can't justify the time I spend here, in my dire straits...
Last edited by Jeff hook on Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:21 am

I'm not that passionate about either type. My favorite is something black against white or near-white. This site has always been ok to read, and if I need boldface etc. now and then, I just click on B i or u. I did like the g and l of the Trebuchet, but I didn't stop at every one to admire it.
pl

Return to “Suggestions”