Suggestion Box

What would you like to see on our site?
Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:07 pm

Speaking of stress, the operative (and censored) definition here is:
stress n.

The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some some jerk that desperately needs it.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:40 pm

Exactly, Larry, stress is created when our 'fight or flight' instinct kicks in where society says, "NO, NO!" the resultant adrenaline creates havoc when it just pools unused in our muscles, stomach, and bowels.

Katy

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Re: stress

Postby M. Henri Day » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:13 pm

one way to eliminate That stress, Henri ois to routinely c ompose on notepad.
Sometimes, Katy, I compose in Word - not so much due to problems with the Agora set-up, but because the server here at the hospital is inadequate for the traffic it carries, which results in shut-downs almost daily and sometimes more - I've counted up to six in a single sitting. These result in the same kind of information loss I described above - but if I write in Word and give my draught a name and save it, I never lose more than five minutes work, as I have instructed the machine to make a back-up every five minutes. (Alas, this automatic back-up feature doesn't work when writing email or postings to the Agora directly.) But as I like to have the text to which I am replying easily available when composing a response, I usually opt for doing so directly. Of course, I could save my draught every five minutes or so myself, but indolence forbids. Perhaps it would be possible to open an extra window so that I could compose in Word while reading the posting to which I am responding, but I have never learned how to do so. In any event, the problem of having to log in again while in the middle of a reply never turned up on the other Agora (where the default period for being inlogged was 360 minutes), so I am certain that our ingenious Administrator with the wicked shades can easily come up with a solution....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

mamawsandy
Junior Lexiterian

a serious reply

Postby mamawsandy » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:24 pm

Last time I wanted a spell checker here, I got booed. I can always go to mine on my msn site, but it is too long a break in my thoughts to have to check one word. I don't see why we can't have a spell checker here, or would that insult those who's area of experitise is spelling. Not all intelligent, well educated people can spell well. We all have our faults. but having a spell checker would certainly help me with my posts.
Now, let's lay off the members's personal lives. This group is for what it is for. Too much time and effort is spent on critical remarks that hurt and are completely out of sinc with this site. Why can't we be kind to one another? Kindness is so much better than cruelty. In my opinion, being cruel is saying that the person being cruel is either just plain mean or doesn't know any other way of communicating.

Taking pot shots at each other defeats the purpose of this group. If that is what you want, make another group.
mamawsandy
I'm a Steel Magnolia
Tough but gentle
Like a lady

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:24 pm

pot shots? member's personal lives? Where did you get all that, I was looking for some juicy flamings or at the very least a rude post. I missed them. All I saw was genial banter.

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:54 pm

"KA-BOOM!" How's that for a pot-shot? :) Or would you prefer "Plink!"?

When I need to check a word, I just copy it, scroll up to the top of the page, right-click on the alphaDictionary.com logo and select Open Link in New Window, which plops up a new alphaDictionary.com home page, then paste the word into the Lookup box.

At one time I thought that WordReference.com's Right-Click worked in the compose window, but that may have been on the old board. It does work in the other part of the browser, though. You can get it at their website. Click on their toolbar link and install one of their toolbars or select the Right-Click link at the bottom of the toolbar page. I suppose you could download the Definition toolbar and do a copy-and-paste to it.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:09 am

When I need to check a word, I just copy it, scroll up to the top of the page, right-click on the alphaDictionary.com logo . . .
Larry, if your PC has a Windows operationg system, try left-clicking the link with the shift key pressed down.

[/quote]

mamawsandy
Junior Lexiterian

that's it

Postby mamawsandy » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:01 am

Well, now folks, if you didn't just shoot me some critical remarks, however covered with humor, I don't know what a pot-shot is.
If you had wanted to, you could have been sympathic, kind, pointing out another way etc. Instead, you chose to be critical and put me down. Well, dears, I won't be put down.
If anyone in this group has a post and says what that one needs or thinks, the other members should reply with consideration for that person's needs. It seems that it is the men who love to be mean.
Well, just remember, God is watching you.
mamawsandy
I'm a Steel Magnolia
Tough but gentle
Like a lady

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:58 am

mamawsandy, I don't think anybody jeered you when you wanted a spellchecker. Two solutions, Google Toolbar and WordWeb, have been suggested. After two or three updates the former now enables users to search definitions by selecting a word and right-clicking it, if the word is embedded in the page HTML (or something that looks so to me).

I am not sure if administrators of this forum were aware of your request since the thread, to which I provided a link above, was initiated in Spelling section. Andrew the Admin has replied several times on this Suggestions section but he may not be paying attention to Spelling section. But now, I hope he knows...

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: that's it

Postby Bailey » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:43 pm

Well, now folks, if you didn't just shoot me some critical remarks, however covered with humor, I don't know what a pot-shot is.
If you had wanted to, you could have been sympathic, kind, pointing out another way etc. Instead, you chose to be critical and put me down. Well, dears, I won't be put down.
If anyone in this group has a post and says what that one needs or thinks, the other members should reply with consideration for that person's needs. It seems that it is the men who love to be mean.
Well, just remember, God is watching you.
I see no critical remarks, maybe we should accomodate your thin-skinand be more careful in posting to a thread where you make an appearance. I checked and the original post was started by Dr, Goodword, I'd think the folks were responding to him?

You are threatening us with God? I think we'd have to agree on a belief to settle that one.
Just a thought.

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:27 pm

"KA-BOOM!" How's that for a pot-shot? :) Or would you prefer "Plink!"? . . .
Sandy, your steel must be corroding. The smiley ( :) ) was meant to show it was a light-hearted comment. I don't remember seeing any real pot-shots before, so I sent a few your way in an attempt to lighten the situation. It's been said that I have a weird sense of humor.

Yes, a spell checker would be nice, but this IS a free site that is fortunately not over-encumbered with advertisements. I counted two ads and nine advertising links on the home page, and only one advertisement and no advertising links on the alphaAgora pages. Meanwhile, on this board's predecessor, I counted 12 on the home page, and 24 ads and advertising links on their Agora page. That's the second reason I rarely haunt that board anymore.

BTW, I had to look up corroding and predecessor just to make sure I had all the letters in the right places.

Drop a Private Message to Andrew the Board God (ashaffer -- he's the first one in the Memberlist when you click that link) and ask if they can or intend to add a spell checker. Make sure you address him as Andrew, not Andy (I have it on good authority!). He added all those Accented Characters when I instigated that, and I have a few more I have to corral and send off to him (e. g., the two oo pronunciation symbols with a macron (straight line) or a breve (curved line) over the two characters to get the different oo sounds in food (f[sub]Image[/sub]d) and look (l[sub]Image[/sub]k) without having to hijack the .gif's from Bartleby.

Don't take offense; we really are a nice lot. If anyone becomes really offensive, The Good Doctor or Andrew will intervene, as they have in the past.

Take time to smell the Magnolias! :)

-----

Oops. Corrections are in color; that's why there's an Edit Button. The advertising links at the bottom of the alphaDictionary home page were so unobtrusive I missed them the first time!
Last edited by Stargzer on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards//Larry

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:53 pm

When I need to check a word, I just copy it, scroll up to the top of the page, right-click on the alphaDictionary.com logo . . .
Larry, if your PC has a Windows operationg system, try left-clicking the link with the shift key pressed down.

Kewl! Thanks Flam-san! Learn something new every day!
Regards//Larry

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:11 am

If this is still a suggestion box, I'd like to see a little game section where we could get creative. Anagrams, palindromes, etc etc ..

I remember as a kid working out sentences of the "Armenian babies cannot do everything Father Grant has indicated" sort...

Different games in different threads. What say you, good people?
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:27 am

For insomniac giggles I ran your "Armenian babies" through this anagram generator and found these interesting child-related suggestions. Hint: best to limit the number of words.

ANEMIA BAIRNS BE
Vitamins needed.

BABE NEAR SIMIAN
Best not discussed in Kansas science classes.

BABIES MEAN RAIN
I've heard of raining cats and dogs, but this would be really creepy. Or creeping, or something...

BAIRN BEE MANIAS
Talent portion of infant beauty contest.

MANIA BABE REINS
I've seen these!

SEMINARIAN BABE
No.

gailr
I like your suggestion, sluggo. If a games section doesn't fly, why not start a thread in res diversae?

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:47 am

MANIA BABE REINS
I've seen these!
Oh. tsk tsk my dirty mind...
SEMINARIAN BABE
No.
Wait- I make recordings of seminars and one time did Suzanne Sommers- does that count?
gailr
I like your suggestion, sluggo. If a games section doesn't fly, why not start a thread in res diversae?
Thought of that, onliest thing is that each game we would come up with would have to be a different thread, hentz an entire heading would be neccesseriated.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Return to “Suggestions”