Inadvertent deletion of draught postings

What would you like to see on our site?
Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Sun May 01, 2005 9:05 am

I know you and Henri are dialogismophiles and/or controversiamants and/or ohavei-machaloqet and/or 論争好き. Look how many new words I have just coined.

Flam

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Sun May 01, 2005 9:45 am

Tim, as usual, in your previous two postings you raise some fascinating points which require more than just a casual response !...

Firstly, with respect to «"the period I am permitted to remain logged in"... That doesn't sound good.»
I wonder if the above phrase doesn't in fact read a little better if one quotes it in full, with the complement included, thus : «the period I am permitted to remain logged in to the Agora». Would it grate less on sensitive ears if a «during which» were inserted between «period» (or, perhaps better, «time» and the personal pronoun ? Perhaps instead of «I», I should rather have used an indeterminate «one» or «you» ? The possibilities seem endless ! But I agree with you - the period as a whole lumbers on with what I should imagine to be the gait of an Apatosaurus. Hardly allegro assai !...

Secondly, you didn't mention whether you were already logged in on the first tab when you began composing the message you intended to test. I suspect you were, and this may have led to different results than in my case, for even though I had been informed by the programme that I was, indeed, logged in when composing the message, I learned (to my dismay) that in fact I was not after trying to submit it, and it may be the case that under such circumstances no record of the posting is recorded, thus leaving nothing to save. Be that as it may, I am going to attempt to reproduce your manoeuvre, using this posting as test object (but saving a back-up copy !), just for kicks. I'll let you know how it works !...

Henri
Tim, it didn't work for me ! After typing the above, I went to the second tab and logged out, then back to the first tab and clicked on the «submit» button, after which I was instructed to log in again. Not responding to the instruction, I went to the second tab and logged in. Then back to the first tab, where I clicked the back button, which indeed gave me access to the «Post a reply» function - but the text window was blank. Good thing I saved that copy !...

Apo, my most humble apologies if, in concentrating on your irony, I neglected to mention your fundamental seriousness ! But, indeed, I did not express myself quite so categorically, writing instead, as you surely noted, «but is it possible that [emphasis added, MHD] you are here confusing an ironic mode of speech with an irenic ditto ?». I think Flam has hit the nail squarely on the head : you and I are indeed inveterate 論争好き (but certainly, and fortunately, not the only ones) ! But isn't that the whole point of the Agora, which selects its members in accordance with well-known Darwinian principles ?...

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Sun May 01, 2005 10:45 am

If you share the PC (read: public computer) at your hospital, Henri, I think this makes a good reason not to opt for automatic log in. But I still believe automatic login helps you out. If you make sure you log out when leaving the computer, no one can plagiarise you. Even if you forget to do so, I would imagine any forger will have a hard time producing plausible enough internal evidence such as your intellectual irony and meticulous adherence to English English.

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Sun May 01, 2005 10:45 am

That was gay.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Sun May 01, 2005 1:39 pm

If you share the PC (read: public computer) at your hospital, Henri, I think this makes a good reason not to opt for automatic log in. But I still believe automatic login helps you out ...
A simple solution appropriate for my ditto mind, Flam ; I've adopted it ! (Actually, I have «my own» computer in my office, which I don't share with anyone ; what I do share is the network supplied by the hospital. When using computers available to others, I generally succeed in remembering to log out....)

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Sun May 01, 2005 7:44 pm

BD:
That was gay.
That was homophobic!

That song was very popular when I lived in Spain, and really, I see no other way to see it.

I was reminded here more of the clash of opposites and the contradictions of liking and disliking someone intensely. I don't think that Henri took it in the wrong mode.

But, as for Miguel Bosé, it is the same as one of my friends in Mexico told me once about Juan Gabriel, "Sabemos que es puto, pero canta bien!"

This song came out about the same time. Personally I think it captures the essense of Sevilla, but most all of the Sevillanos I knew hated it! Some even thought about bringing some sort of suit against him for it.

Sevilla

Media luna brillará
la navaja acechará
ojos bravos de mujer
Qué veneno fue?

Celo macho... África
Tu abanico se ensangrentara
A mi sino... fiel seré
Qué veneno fue ?

El corazon que Triana va
nunca volverá
Sevilla...
con que pasión te enamorará
y te embrujará
Sevilla...

Sola queda Soledad
la guitarra llorará
sortilegio sobre ti caerá
y una lágrima
un perfume flor de azahar
a la hora de la verdad
pulso infame temblará
pero matará

Y al alba blanca le contaré
lo que yo te amé
Sevilla...
bandido ay! muero yo por ti
tu paloma fui
Sevilla...
cantaré
y enloqueceré
sentiré
puñales de placer...

El corazon que Triana va
nunca volverá
Sevilla...
con que pasión te enamorará
y te embrujará
Sevilla...
tu paloma fui
Sevilla...
Y al alba blanca le contaré
lo que yo te amé
Sevilla...
tu paloma fui
Sevilla...
de oro y diamantes te descubriré
te seduciré
Sevilla
como a una reina te trataré
y te adoraré
Sevilla...

Por Miguel Bosé

Las letras de canciones pertenecen a sus autores y se muestran aquí por motivos educativos.

I missed a few accents, I know, I got tired!

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Sun May 01, 2005 8:43 pm

That was homophobic!
That was irate! I think this is the first time you've taken me seriously.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Sun May 01, 2005 11:50 pm

No, I wasn't irate! I don't care! I am not overly protective of homosexuals.

About the word "gay," though! My generation uses it to politely and politically refer to homosexuals, esp. men, but the younger crowd is certain not sold on the idea of "gay is good."
The usual derogatory phrase is "That is so gay!" and they don't mean happy! I heard it last from a 12 year old girl.

It's really too bad that the whole sexuality thing has been pushed on them, esp. at such an early age. The sexualization of children is rampant in our culture.

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Mon May 02, 2005 1:47 am

I agree APO, one hears from the bubblegummers that this or that is "sexy" I hope they really don't know what they are talking about.

Katy

ashaffer
Site Admin

Re: Are any of you on AOL?

Postby ashaffer » Fri May 06, 2005 2:28 pm

I've read that because of AOL's system of WWW proxy servers, phpBB posts can get lost in a manner similar to how you are describing. So, if you're on AOL and losing posts, let me know and I can work on tracking down the problem further.
The problem that occurs with AOL could also happen if you're using any ISP that routes your web traffic through a cluster of proxy servers - essentially, you log in through one proxy server, and the cookie you get is encoded with that machine's IP address. Subsequent requests come in through other servers with different addresses, so the cookie doesn't work. This functionality might be underlying "web accelerator" software, too.

The cookies should last for 3600 seconds. So as long as you logged in less than an hour ago, that shouldn't cause the problem. (Or, if you're taking an hour to write your post..)

When your posts disappear, is the system asking you to log in again? Can you use the back button to get back to your post-entry form?
Recursion is the root of computation since it trades description for time. - Alan Perlis

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Sun May 08, 2005 9:54 am

When your posts disappear, is the system asking you to log in again? Can you use the back button to get back to your post-entry form?
Just so ! In order to begin a reply, I have to be logged in, but at times, for various reasons I need not discuss here, hours can go by before I have the opportunity to forward my response to the Agora. What happens then is that, having completed my missive, I press on the «submit» button, but to my surprise (I am, in fact, equally surprised every time this happens, which does not augur well for the future of my intellectual facilities), instead of a notice to the effect that my posting has been successfully delivered, I receive a request to log in. Pressing on the back button is no help, as what then appears on my screen is, if I remember aright, a blank window from which my deathless prose has been excised. I have tried the techniques suggested by Tim, but alas to no avail - it may be the case that all of the filters and firewalls installed by the hospital make it impossible to employ them, just as they seem to make it impossible for me to register for automatic inlogging, as suggested by Flam. Another peculiarity of the manner in which the system here deals with requests for inlogging, e g, those that come when I want to respond to a posting to which a link has been provided through the notification service, is that after inlogging, I am generally directed to the Agora home page, instead of back to the thread from which I logged in. This is annoying, as I must then search again for the relevant thread. Don't know if there's anything to be done about these problems, nor do I know if they are unique to me. For the present, I try to remember to copy all postings before trying to forward them to the Agora, but given the on-going degradation in my mentation, it's not unlikely that at some point or another, I shall forget to do so....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun May 08, 2005 3:40 pm

. . . hours can go by before I have the opportunity to forward my response to the Agora. What happens then is that, having completed my missive, I press on the «submit» button, but to my surprise (I am, in fact, equally surprised every time this happens, which does not augur well for the future of my intellectual facilities), instead of a notice to the effect that my posting has been successfully delivered, I receive a request to log in. Pressing on the back button is no help, as what then appears on my screen is, if I remember aright, a blank window from which my deathless prose has been excised. . . .
Henri
Try hitting the Preview Button every now and then.

The blank window may be because all your typing had not been sent in to the Agora and echoed back to your machine, so it's not really "recorded" anywhere. Do you do a periodic Preview? That seems to save your typing up to the last Preview, and it may reset your inactivity timer is the Agora uses one. I often preview several times to check for spieling misteaks and formatting.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Sun May 08, 2005 4:09 pm

spieling misteaks
Is spiel part of your shtick?

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Wed May 11, 2005 11:43 am

Larry, to test whether the log-in timer is indeed automatically reset by previewing, I am going to let this posting stand long enough to be logged out, and then see what happens when I click the «Preview» button - but I shall take a copy just in case ! Can't wait to see the results !...

Now we shall see what happens, when, about three hours after penning the above, I click on the «Submit» button....

Henri

[Ex post facto supplement : It worked - at least I didn't get a request to log in ! Thanks, Larry !...]
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Wed May 11, 2005 3:40 pm

I tried "preview" once it should have been marked "reset" for that's what it did.

Katy

Return to “Suggestions”