Text Appearence

What would you like to see on our site?
anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:44 am

Anyone who needs to input East Asian text:
Users who are running:
• Windows Me, Windows 98, Windows 95, or Windows NT 4.0 and not running Office XP should download Global IME
from here. There's a link for O XP users as well.
How to use the phrase memory: http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/assis ... 51033.aspx

And next time, I'll copy the text and blow it up to some 24 points to count the strokes.
Irren ist männlich

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:28 am

I agree with you, Anders, that it's not so very easy for aging eyes to distinguish between the two graphs discussed in my previous letter when they are presented in smaller font sizes, so here they are in more «stroke-counting-friendly» format : and . Enjoy !...

Even if I am unable at present to take advantage of your suggestion regarding adding graphs to Micro$oft's Input Method Editor, which I assumes already contains the approximately 20000 graphs defined by the Unicode (ISO 10646) standard, plus hiragana and katakana, I intend to remember it for future reference. I am not sure, however, that I have understood the instructions aright. How, for example, do I import the 4-dragon graph found on the mojikyo site, which, unlike its 3-dragon counterpart, is not found in Unicode, into the Japanese or Chinese (traditional or simplified) IME ? I was able to import it - as an image, not as text - to a Word document, but not, for example, to this posting or an email. Any ideas ?...

Henri

PS : Still looking for Mac help !...
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:50 am

Henri,
Please provide specifics of your problems. What is the format of your attachments? What font type (locale-specific or unicode) do your messages contain? What version of Windows do you use? What version of Mac does your daughter use? And her mail software? How do you create your files? Can you read your attachment on a PC? And so on.

Somehow I will work it out.

anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:35 pm

How, for example, do I import the 4-dragon graph found on the mojikyo site, which, unlike its 3-dragon counterpart, is not found in Unicode, into the Japanese or Chinese (traditional or simplified) IME ?
I can print documents comprising Mojikyo characters, but I think it would be difficult, if not impossible, to use them in mail items - unless the addressee has Mojikyo installed, and perhaps not even then. OTOH, if you create an MS Word file and specify Tools - Alternatives - Save tab, and check Embed True Type ... (or whatevever the correspondence in English will be), it is quite probable that the recipient would be able to view and print those characters.
PS : Still looking for Mac help !...
I'm forwarding your/our request tomorrow at noon to the BH teacher and to the Japanese Dept. Fingers crossed!
Irren ist männlich

anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:12 pm

The head of the Japanese dept. said that she was very sorry, but she just used the computer she was given. I got the feeling that she didn't know if it was a Mac or a PC. The Hebrew gal never tried even Arabic, in spite of being very familiar with more than one Mac Hebrew setting.

Then I remembered the Oriental and African admin guy. He is the techie behind the alphabetical version of Karlgren's Grammata Serica Recensa (my current Swedish teacher of Chinese was the #2 linguist on the job).

His view was, that it might be possible to exchange Jp/Ch mails between two people on the same server. Things happen between servers, though, and the world isn't exactly harmonized regarding font codings. This tallies well with some interesting experiences I have had. :(

OTOH, it should in most if not all cases be possible to send mixed messages as Word, perhaps even .txt or -rtf, attachments. Try 'em out and see what works. If you're really desperate about it, there is one 100% sure way: invest in a full Adobe Acrobat version (i.e. not just the Reader; AA 5.0.5 is quite sufficent; higher ones are certainly not necessary for what you and I need). Then you can do any fancy stuff in Word, like using Equation editor, and moving characters back and forth and up and down (come to think of it, I haven't tried Mojikyo fonts in it yet), and create a .pdf file that anybody can read using the free Acrobat Reader.
Irren ist männlich

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

At last, attention to this shop

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:58 pm

It is true that we have created more shops in this Agora than one person can keep up with. However, I've dropped by at last and, among the various meandering threads, have spotted at least one that has a sympathetic string in our e-mails: some people don't like the Century Gothic or Arial fonts that we have standardized across the new websites.

Our new Alpha Agora offers a polling option with new subjects. So I will check the Agora's membership with a poll, Serifs or no Serifs? This will give us some idea of how deep the problem runs here. It does not follow that we will automatically change the fonts here. (We can't change them throughout the site for business reasons.)

I will ask Andre and Elliott to take a look at the other problems you were kind enough to raise, i.e. the kind of Unicode fonts we are using and the color of the links.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Retraction

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:15 pm

I can't get the Poll function to work for me. I think it must be my home setup. I'll get instructions and try it on the office computer tomorrow.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:27 pm

Can't wait to respond to that poll ! But what irony is there not in that our good doctor is unable to get the function to function - one wonders if this be what Shakespeare meant when he wrote that
For 'tis the sport to have the engineer Hoist with his own petard

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:38 pm

I find it wonderful that Dr Goodword walks amongst us.

Katy
doesn't need a poll, and rarely responds to them.

dsteve54
Junior Lexiterian

Postby dsteve54 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:00 pm

In terms of readability in terms of font size, type, and layout against the motif, I like it very much. In that respect I have no complaints.

Ok, I will admit, I am not very good with bulletin boards and markups and maybe I am missing a capability with the tags available at top. In MS WORD, I sometimes have to use Charis Sil
to get International Phonetic Alphabet symbols and diacriticals, at least in a WYSIWYG fashion. However, aside from that, I am not that fond of the font type itself.

That might be my only comment on such capabilities here....as long as I can use tags to represent IPA characters and combining diacritical marks, I am satisfied. I still don't know how to do it, but maybe if I read up on my tags better, I will understand.

[/code]
Known in restaurant circles by quasi-Thai moniker, "That Guy" (e.g. heard in the back.."that guy is here again"; "that guy on/at table 10"; "that guy is going for a sirloin again", etc.)

Half the distance in half the states...from half2run.com

Return to “Suggestions”