Text Appearence

What would you like to see on our site?
Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:37 pm

Yeah. Dragons are a bit meaker than you think they are. They have only 3/4 noisiness level of women. For other funny kanjis derived from dragon graph, see kooki jiten or Shirakawa's works.

Dragon is written in 17 strokes of the pen (not the heart), the left radical requiring 9 and the right 8, strokes.

anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:13 pm

Interesting confusion. My Chinese and Japanese dictionaries and the WenLin software agree on 16 strokes. The left part is 9 all right, but the second stroke of the right part is down-right-down. I suppose this is where the count differs.

I have seen only one reference before for 17, in the scholarly and interesting Yip Po-Ching: The Chinese Lexicon.

And the four dragons, meaning 'garrulous', should generate a noise level matching any human. The word is tà in Chinese and TETSU in Japanese.
Irren ist männlich

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:41 pm

Yeah. Dragons are a bit meaker than you think they are. They have only 3/4 noisiness level of women.
Flam, do the women in your life know you think of them like this? I'd suggest you get them some chocolate quick, women need chocolate; men who talk bad about women need a spanking.

:)

Katy
(TIC)

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:49 am

It's more like this;

1. I = 龍太郎 where (龍 = dragon)
2. Garrulous = 女 (woman) * 3 = 龍 * 4
3. from 1 and 2, I need to be 1.3 times garrulous as usual when I want to be heard before a woman.

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:34 pm

Ah, so it's rooted in there from times long past. Still get your lady some chocolate, or better yet give her yours.

Katy

anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:45 pm

Here's another case of interpretating a Chinese character (it will be intersting to see if the character turn out as intended:
Three women, 姦, mean 'illicit sexual relations'. Often you'll see this meaning explained as "women are, by nature, prone to such relations". I rather like the alternative "a man who has simultaneous relations with three women is reprehensible". Please note that I in this statement don't comment on any previous behavior of mine.
Irren ist männlich

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:20 pm

Just to strengthen your first point;
妄, 奸, 妬, 娨, 婬, 娼, 婪, 媚, 嫌, 嫐, 嫉, 嫚, 嫖, 嬲 and 嬾

are your homework.

But I think finding positive kanjis with female radical (女) is as easy.

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:55 pm

I don't intend to restart the insidious discussion on colour but does anybody experience the same problem as I do, concerning the hyper link colour? That's what I started this thread for.

Flam

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:15 am

It's more like this;

1. I = 龍太郎 where (龍 = dragon)
2. Garrulous = 女 (woman) * 3 = 龍 * 4
3. from 1 and 2, I need to be 1.3 times garrulous as usual when I want to be heard before a woman.
The Four Dragons sounds like a good name for a place to down a couple of flagons of good microbrew!

In trying to decode #1 above, is dragon (龍) part of your name? What are the other characters?

In #2, are you saying that there are two characters/pictures for the word "garruous?" I. e,

three women:

女女

and four dragons:

龍龍
龍龍

?
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:05 am

Stargzer,

1. Yes. My name is Riu.ta.ro. Riu is what you already know. Taro part means that I am the eldest boy child of my parents.

2. Yes. They are, as anders commented earlier, respectively KAN and TETSU in Japanese. 女 * 3 looks more like 姦. Actually, I have never seen a text that has TETSU on, excepting those that mention it as one of the funniest kanjis (either 64 or 68 strokes, it is the kanji with most strokes).

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:17 am

Stargzer,

1. Yes. My name is Riu.ta.ro. Riu is what you already know. Taro part means that I am the eldest boy child of my parents.

2. Yes. They are, as anders commented earlier, respectively KAN and TETSU in Japanese. 女 * 3 looks more like 姦. Actually, I have never seen a text that has TETSU on, excepting those that mention it as one of the funniest kanjis (either 64 or 68 strokes, it is the kanji with most strokes).
Ah, Riu is Dragon? That explains your choice of picture from Amélie!

The eldest boy, and a real dragon to boot! :D I, too, am the eldest, of four boys, and though I may roar like a dragon at times, I think I'm really a lazy ol' hound dog at heart. :)
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:54 am

Garzo, thanks for the Unicode site!

Could someone telling me briefly how it works?

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:21 am

<---- Being a real dragon to boot can be like this. As I have said, "[d]ragons are a bit meaker than you think they are."

Garzo
Lexiterian

Postby Garzo » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:15 am

Garzo, thanks for the Unicode site!

Could someone telling me briefly how it works?

Apo
I'm not sure exactly what you would like to do with Unicode, but the basic idea is this:
  1. Find the character you want.
  2. Use characters with lower Unicode numbers (Greek is easier to render than Ugaritic!).
  3. Find the decimal number that accompanies the character (do not use the hexadecimal numbers at the ends of rows and tops of columns).
  4. Enter the text as

Code: Select all

&#n;
    (where n is the Unicode number).
  5. In a preview, all that code should render as the character if the font/browser/website can cope with it.
It seems that the IPA block doesn't work on this website yet (which is very sad). However, if you want a pharyngeal fricative /ħ/, you'll find its number on the Unicode chart is 295, and then you can type &#295; to add it to a post.

I hope that's what you meant.
"Poetry is that which gets lost in translation" — Robert Frost

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:42 pm

<---- Being a real dragon to boot can be like this. As I have said, "[d]ragons are a bit meaker than you think they are."
Yes, I know there are differences between the serpent-like chthonic cave-dweller of Europe and the Oriental symbol of auspicious power.

Then of course there are my personal favorites, the dragons of the planet Pern, as created by Anne McCaffrey, who ". . . has been named to the select group of authors designated as SFWA Grand Masters. She is only the twenty-second writer so honored by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America since 1974."
Last edited by Stargzer on Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards//Larry

Return to “Suggestions”