here's one I can do finally! I got 17

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
KatyBr
Wordmaster

here's one I can do finally! I got 17

Postby KatyBr » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:48 pm

FROM AN EMAIL
The average person only gets 7 correct......

This is based on U.S. info, so use all lobes of your brain. This can be more
difficult than it looks - it just shows how little most of us really see!

There are 25 questions about things we see every day or have known about all
our lives.

How many can you get right? These little simple questions are harder than you
think-- it just shows you how little we pay attention to the commonplace
things of life.

Put your thinking caps on. Get a pencil/pen &some paper.

No cheating!

No looking around!

No getting out of your chair!

No using anything on or in your desk or computer!
can you beat 23?? (The average is 7 remember!)

Write down your answers as you go.
1. On a standard traffic light, is the green on the top or bottom?

2. How many states are there in the USA?
(Don't laugh, some people really don't know!)

3. In which hand is the Statue of Liberty's torch?

4. What six colors are on the classic Campbell's soup label?

5. What two numbers on the telephone dial don't have letters by them?

6. When you walk does your left arm swing with your right or left leg?
(Don't you dare get up to see!)

7. How many matches are in a standard pack?

8. On the United States flag is the top stripe red or white?

9. What is the lowest number on the FM dial?

10. Which way does water go down the drain, counter or clockwise?

11. Which way does a "no smoking" sign's slash run?

12. How many channels on a VHF TV dial?

13. On which side of a women's blouse are the buttons?

14. Which way do fans rotate?

15. How many sides does a stop sign have?

16. Do books have even-numbered pages on the right or left side?

17. How many lug nuts are on a standard car wheel?

18. How many sides are there on a standard pencil?

19. Sleepy, Happy, Sneezy, Grumpy, Dopey, Doc. Who's missing?

20. How many hot dog buns are in a standard package?

21. On which playing card is the card maker's trademark?

22. On which side of a Venetian blind is the cord that adjusts the opening
between the slats?

23. There are 12 buttons on a touch tone phone. What 2 symbols bear no digits?

24. How many curves are there in the standard paper clip?

25. Does a merry-go-round turn counter or clockwise?

ANSWERS:

1. On a standard traffic light, is the green on the top or bottom?
BOTTOM

2. How many states are there in the USA? (Don't laugh, some people
really don't know!) - 50

3. In which hand is the Statue of Liberty's torch? - RIGHT

4. What six colors are on the classic Campbell's soup label?
BLUE, RED, WHITE, YELLOW, BLACK &GOLD

5. What two numbers on the telephone dial don't have letters by them?
1, 0

6. When you walk does your left arm swing with your right or left leg?
RIGHT

7. How many matches are in a standard pack? - 20

8. On the United States flag is the top stripe red or hite? - RED

9. What is the lowest number on the FM dial? - 88

10. Which way does water go down the drain, counter or clockwise?

CLOCKWISE (NORTH OF THE EQUATOR)

11. Which way does a "no smoking" sign's slash run?
TOWARDS THE BOTTOM RIGHT

12. How many channels on a VHF TV dial? - 12 (no #1)

13 On which side of a women's blouse are the buttons? - LEFT

14. Which way do fans rotate? - CLOCKWISE AS YOU LOOK AT IT

15 How many sides does a stop sign have? - 8

16. Do books have even-numbered pages on the right or left side?
LEFT

17. How many lug nuts are on a standard car wheel? - 5
(You guys probably got this one!)

18. How many sides are there on a standard pencil? - 6

19. Sleepy, Happy, Sneezy, Grumpy, Dopey, Doc. Who's missing?
BASHFUL

20. How many hot dog buns are in a standard package? - 8

21. On which playing card is the card maker's trademark?
ACE OF SPADES

22. On which side of a Venetian blind is the cord that adjusts the
opening between the slats? - LEFT

23. There are 12 buttons on a touch tone phone. What 2 symbols bear
no digits? - *, #

24. How many curves are there in the standard paper clip? - 3

25. Does a merry-go-round turn counter or clockwise? - COUNTER

REMEMBER I DID NOT WRITE THIS.
kT

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:59 pm

I only got 17!

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:22 am

I missed:

# 4 (missed yellow and blue)

# 9 I had 88.1, which is the lowest station frequency that can be assigned.

#19 Missed Bashful

#21 I picked the joker

As for #10, about water going clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere, that's a myth. It has more to do with the shape of the basin and chance. A draining sink or tub is too small for the Coriolis effect to come in to play (you can skip the math in the article and skip on down to the "Draining bathtubs/toilets" paragraph).
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:54 am

I missed:

# 4 (missed yellow and blue)

# 9 I had 88.1, which is the lowest station frequency that can be assigned.

#19 Missed Bashful

#21 I picked the joker

As for #10, about water going clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere, that's a myth. It has more to do with the shape of the basin and chance. A draining sink or tub is too small for the Coriolis effect to come in to play (you can skip the math in the article and skip on down to the "Draining bathtubs/toilets" paragraph).
I'm quoting Larry for simplicity, since he missed the same ones I did... EXCEPT:

#7 -- I had not idea, was thinking around 25.

#8 -- I didn't know this one.

#9 -- I'm almost positive that the lowest digital station is 87.9FM.

#10 -- In the Northern Hemisphere, most drains swirl counterclockwise, so that answer is incorrect.

#12 -- I didn't know this one, either.

#19 -- I also missed Bashful, but then I didn't grow up with Disney movies playing all the time in my house, and my wife and I have tried to avoid them for the most part with our kids.

I did, however, get the Ace of Spades correct.

So I got 19 correct.

-Tim

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:14 pm

#7 is 20 matches in a pack to match the 20 cigarettes in a pack. Pun intented, of course. :wink:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:25 pm

Interesting... I had to look it up!
match (1)

"stick for striking fire," 1377, "wick of a candle or lamp," from O.Fr. meiche "wick of a candle," from V.L. *micca/*miccia (cf. Catalan metxa, Sp. mecha, It. miccia), probably ult. from L. myxa, from Gk. myxa "lamp wick," originally "mucus," based on notion of wick dangling from the spout of a lamp like snot from a nostril. Meaning "piece of cord or splinter of wood soaked in sulphur, used for lighting fires, lamps, candles, etc." is from 1530. First used 1831 for the modern type of friction match, and competed with lucifer for much of 19c. as the name for this invention.
-Tim

anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:02 pm

For those interested in cultural differences:

1. On a standard traffic light, is the green on the top or bottom? BOTTOM – Here as well
2. How many states are there in the USA? (Don't laugh, some people really don't know!) - 50 - OK
3. In which hand is the Statue of Liberty's torch? - RIGHT - OK
4. What six colors are on the classic Campbell's soup label? - Don’t know if I’ve seen one
5. What two numbers on the telephone dial don't have letters by them? - No letters on any dial that I owned.
6. When you walk does your left arm swing with your right or left leg? RIGHT – Right.
7. How many matches are in a standard pack? - 20 - Not at all; many more. Haven’t bought any for years, but would guess at least 50.
8. On the United States flag is the top stripe red or hite? - RED - Didn’t know.
9. What is the lowest number on the FM dial? - 88 - “Dial”?? Had a look. One radio scale to 88, one to 76.
10. Which way does water go down the drain, counter or clockwise? CLOCKWISE (NORTH OF THE EQUATOR) - Myth, as explained.
11. Which way does a "no smoking" sign's slash run? TOWARDS THE BOTTOM RIGHT - OK
12. How many channels on a VHF TV dial? - 12 (no #1) - What’s a VHF TV dial?
13 On which side of a women's blouse are the buttons? - LEFT – Not if you look at them
14. Which way do fans rotate? - CLOCKWISE AS YOU LOOK AT IT – But if you look at it from the other side?
15 How many sides does a stop sign have? - 8 – They’re circular with an inscribed triangle.
16. Do books have even-numbered pages on the right or left side? LEFT - OK
17. How many lug nuts are on a standard car wheel? - 5 (You guys probably got this one!) – Mine were always 4, but perhaps this new one has 5. Never changed wheels so far. So what’s standard?
18. How many sides are there on a standard pencil? - 6 – OK
19. Sleepy, Happy, Sneezy, Grumpy, Dopey, Doc. Who's missing? BASHFUL – I’m not familiar with the English names
20. How many hot dog buns are in a standard package? - 8 – How would I know?
21. On which playing card is the card maker's trademark? ACE OF SPADES – That card used to have a tax stamp. Checking my two decks, none of them have stamps or trademarks.
22. On which side of a Venetian blind is the cord that adjusts the opening between the slats? - LEFT – I’ve got one of each. No standard here.
23. There are 12 buttons on a touch tone phone. What 2 symbols bear no digits? - *, # - OK, but to nitpick, my phone has 31 buttons but I only use some 15 of them.
24. How many curves are there in the standard paper clip? - 3 – Define “curve”. I count 8 on mine.
25. Does a merry-go-round turn counter or clockwise? - COUNTER – Guessed so.

ETA: I found a test question for university statistics, which confirmed my guess of ca. 50 matches per box.
Irren ist männlich

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:06 pm

And some more differences but my observation overlaps largely with that of Anders.

1. On a standard traffic light, is the green on the top or bottom? BOTTOM – Yes. But where did I last see a vertical traffic light?
6. When you walk does your left arm swing with your right or left leg? RIGHT – Okay with some reserve. Until Meiji period there was basically no swing at all. If there was, as it may be still the case today, it was left leg with no question.
9. What is the lowest number on the FM dial? - 88 - For every radio I checked, 76/76.0.
12. How many channels on a VHF TV dial? - 12 (no #1) - Right.
15 How many sides does a stop sign have? - 8 – My answer is 3. The sign is triangle with one apex down.
16. Do books have even-numbered pages on the right or left side? LEFT - RIGHT if the book starts from the right and LEFT if the book starts from the left.
19. Sleepy, Happy, Sneezy, Grumpy, Dopey, Doc. Who's missing? BASHFUL – What are you talking about?

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:12 pm

anders, a match book is not a match box. Also I'm sure it's pretty clear, that it's for those in the US. see it says
This is based on U.S. info
... also you weren'tsupposed to look first, and the buttons question is for the person wearing the blouse as to which side the buttons are on, just like "what side of the car is the driver on?" The left (here in the US.) which is the driver's POV, natch.

Kt
19. Sleepy, Happy, Sneezy, Grumpy, Dopey, Doc. Who's missing? BASHFUL – What are you talking about?
Flam it's from the fairy tale Snow White and the seven dwarves,the Disney version, it's the name of the dwarves, for gooness sake. I got it wrong because I'm just not into cartoons. And books written in English do start numbering from the left(this is inside info, our books are odd even when one opens a book left to right) always!(I worked as a Librarian) please see that this is US info, thank you

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:38 am

Well, this was obviously geared towards the US (the flag question is a dead giveaway!).
For those interested in cultural differences:

. . .

4. What six colors are on the classic Campbell's soup label? - Don’t know if I’ve seen one
The Classic here: Image

and there: Image

5. What two numbers on the telephone dial don't have letters by them? - No letters on any dial that I owned.
From Wikipedia:
In North America, traditional dials have letter codes displayed with the numbers under the finger holes in the following pattern: 1, 2 ABC, 3 DEF, 4 GHI, 5 JKL, 6 MNO, 7 PRS, 8 TUV, 9 WXY and 0 Operator.
In the US, the letters were part of the phone number in the old days, indicating the local Telephone Company Central Office. Typical names were WArfield, APpleton, UNion or UNiversity, and so on.

The Glenn Miller song Pennsylvania 6-5000 is the phone number of a famous hotel in Manhattan.

Back in the 1960s I read a short story, a detective story, in which the detective figured out the villan's identity when he gave a phone number of "Quentin 5-2356." The "Q" in "Quentin' would have been impossible to dial on a US phone.

A dial from the UK: Image

. . .

7. How many matches are in a standard pack? - 20 - Not at all; many more. Haven’t bought any for years, but would guess at least 50.

From an article with more than you want to know about matches;
In 1889 Joshua Pusey invented the matchbook. Calling his matchbook matches “Flexibles", he obtained a patent that was subsequently challenged by the Diamond Match Company. They had invented a similar product, but had placed the striker on the outside of the matchbook, not in the inside, as Pusey had done. Placing the striker on the outside made a much safer product. Igniting one of Pusey’s “Flexibles” often resulted in the ignition of the entire book of matches!

The Diamond Match Company lost their patent challenge but eventually purchased the patent from Pusey for $4,000 and a job offer. They standardized the number of matches in a matchbook at 20. Pusey’s books had contained 50.
Bonus Question

8. On the United States flag is the top stripe red or white? - RED - Didn’t know.
Seven red and six white stripes. Sadly, something tells me a lot of US citizens may not know this.
9. What is the lowest number on the FM dial? - 88 - “Dial”?? Had a look. One radio scale to 88, one to 76.
In the US:
The FM radio band is from 88 to 108 MHz between VHF television Channels 6 and 7. The FM stations are assigned center frequencies at 200 kHz separation starting at 88.1 MHz, for a maximum of 100 stations. These FM stations have a 75 kHz maximum deviation from the center frequency, which leaves 25 kHz upper and lower "gaurd bands" to minimize interaction with the adjacent frequency band.

. . .

12. How many channels on a VHF TV dial? - 12 (no #1) - What’s a VHF TV dial?
Frequency chart for the US designated Television Channels

UHF channels run from 14 to 83 (see the chart in the link above).

. . .

15 How many sides does a stop sign have? - 8 – They’re circular with an inscribed triangle.
Wikipedia article on Stop Sign

. . .

17. How many lug nuts are on a standard car wheel? - 5 (You guys probably got this one!) – Mine were always 4, but perhaps this new one has 5. Never changed wheels so far. So what’s standard?
Our old Ford Pinto station wagon had 4 lug nuts, the larger cars have 5. The question was obviously written by someone who did not have a compact car. Our old 3/4 ton Ford Econoline van had 8 lug nuts per wheel.

So, I would say there is no standard.

19. Sleepy, Happy, Sneezy, Grumpy, Dopey, Doc. Who's missing? BASHFUL – I’m not familiar with the English names
These are the names of the Seven Dwarfs from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. In these days of political correctness they are referred to as the Seven Vertically Challanged Persons.

20. How many hot dog buns are in a standard package? - 8 – How would I know?
For some bizarre reason, in the US there are 8 hot dog buns in a standard package, but 10 hot dogs in a standard 1 lb. package.

. . .

23. There are 12 buttons on a touch tone phone. What 2 symbols bear no digits? - *, # - OK, but to nitpick, my phone has 31 buttons but I only use some 15 of them.
A Wikipedia article:

24. How many curves are there in the standard paper clip? - 3 – Define “curve”. I count 8 on mine.
Wikipedia article on the paperclip.Image

. . .

ETA: I found a test question for university statistics, which confirmed my guess of ca. 50 matches per box.
Regards//Larry

anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:43 am

anders, a match book is not a match box.
The question concerned a standard pack, on which I commented. Matchbooks are only handed out for advertising; the quality matches that you buy come in boxes.
Irren ist männlich

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:39 am

anders, a match book is not a match box.
The question concerned a standard pack, on which I commented. Matchbooks are only handed out for advertising; the quality matches that you buy come in boxes.

From the American Heritage Dictionary:
3. A small package containing a standard number of identical or similar items: a pack of matches.
Regards//Larry

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:35 pm

I've never called a pack of matches a box of matches or vice versa, a pack IS the book. at least in my experience. Possibly the person making up this very flawed test according to y'all thought so also.

Kt

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:33 am

FM frequencies in the US start at 88.1 so I don't think that answer is wrong (I had that too). 88 might appear on the dial but 87 is sometimes used. The dial in Japan (and possibly other places) starts at 76 MHz. The US FM dial originally went from I think 47 to 54 MHz, when FM was developed by Edwin Armstrong in the 1930s, but his archrival David Sarnoff maneuvered the FCC into the new band. The original 47-54 band was taken from the FCC's initial allotment for TV channel 1, which is why the VHF TV channels have started with 2 ever since.

Aside from that I got a 18, missing the same ones Stargzer did plus 24 (oops) and 13 (I need to get out more).

I think this test pretty much only works on those who grew up in the US as 'baby boomers'.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:38 am

Yet another entertaining resurrection of a thread!
I think this test pretty much only works on those who grew up in the US as 'baby boomers'.
Thanks.
Irren ist männlich

Return to “Res Diversae”