funny signs

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:24 am

Bailey, you really can't see the picture on the post? I can.

Drinking again this early? :)

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:47 pm

Bailey, you really can't see the picture on the post? I can.

Drinking again this early? :)
I don't get it either.
The picture I mean.
I've had the same prollem before too and had to throw up my hands and just post a link.
I didn't literally "throw up", it's a metaphor (fair warning for anyone new around here who might not get that)

Edit: here it is- can't explain why it works for me, Skin, I set it up the same way you did...Image

EditEdit: it's gone again, both places. Merde.
Last edited by sluggo on Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:58 pm

Sluggo, yoiur new avatar is a riot!
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:21 pm

Sluggo, yoiur new avatar is a riot!
A nod to the tenor of the times... :?

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:57 pm

This one isn't a road sign, but I remember it fondly from an episode (and what an apt term that is) of MST3K. The opening title reads Attack of The The Eye Creatures. You'd think someone would have noticed before distribution...perhaps spelling is different for movie moguls.

E for effort on the disclaimer, sluggo, but you missed a couple fine points of legalese and I've lent you a hand to replace those you've thrown up. Please be more careful with this one.
-gailr

[quote="sluggo"]Disclaimer: the spelling expressed on this image is a third-party position and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of either the original or secondary poster on matters of double negatives, nor of the moderators of the board or any subsequent posters therein; nor may this image be construed as taking a position on whether said spelling may or may not be classified as "wrong," "stupid," "demented," "psychotic," "ignorant," nor any other term that may now or in future be considered a "value judgment"; nor an indictment of the beverage industry, either hard or soft, nor of its suppliers, producers, vendors, marketers, or consumers; regardless of whether or not said term is or is not in general parlance by speakers of the English language or any of its descendants, antecedents, affiliates, prescriptivists or descriptivists, in past, present or future, forever, amen, so be it, Inshallah, and dat's da fact jack.[/quote]

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:10 pm

This one isn't a road sign, but I remember it fondly from an episode (and what an apt term that is) of MST3K. The opening title reads Attack of The The Eye Creatures. You'd think someone would have noticed before distribution...perhaps spelling is different for movie moguls.

E for effort on the disclaimer, sluggo, but you missed a couple fine points of legalese and I've lent you a hand to replace those you've thrown up. Please be more careful with this one.
-gailr

[quote="sluggo"]Disclaimer: the spelling expressed on this image is a third-party position and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of either the original or secondary poster on matters of double negatives, nor of the moderators of the board or any subsequent posters therein; nor may this image be construed as taking a position on whether said spelling may or may not be classified as "wrong," "stupid," "demented," "psychotic," "ignorant," nor any other term that may now or in future be considered a "value judgment"; nor an indictment of the beverage industry, either hard or soft, nor of its suppliers, producers, vendors, marketers, or consumers, whether legal, illegal or irrillegal; regardless of whether or not said term is or is not in general parlance by speakers of the English language or any of its descendants, antecedents, affiliates, prescriptivists, descriptivists or recidivists, in past, present or future, forever, amen, so be it, Inshallah, dat's da fact jack, agus fágaimíd siúd mar atá sé.
[/quote]

Agreed that it's a wikipaedic working document subject to endless amendment (and I didn't dare go back there to compile the predicate adjective list), but haven't I also spelled irregardless wr... um, I mean inc...... uh, nonstandardly?

No wonder I got an E :oops: that's twice I threw up today.

btw I still dunno: what is MST3K?

"we can't talk here"-Betty Joe Bilovski)

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:14 pm

This one isn't a road sign, but I remember it fondly from an episode (and what an apt term that is) of MST3K. The opening title reads Attack of The The Eye Creatures.
Aye Aye, Gail. Attack of the I-creatures. Not lost on me. :D

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:01 pm

. . .

Mystery Science Theater 3000.

It was a show (on the SciFi Channel, I think) that played God-awful movies and had the host and his three robot companions making comments all during the movie. Their silouettes in movie theater seats appeared across the bottom of the screen, giving the illusion that they were sitting in front of you.

See the link for further details. :)
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:07 pm

. . .
The opening title reads Attack of The The Eye Creatures.
. . .
Whoa! I missed it the first time; I saw the large "T" in "CREATURES" as being too short. It reminds me of the old optical illusions:
Paris in the
the Spring

Bird in the
the Hand
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:46 pm

. . .

Mystery Science Theater 3000.

It was a show (on the SciFi Channel, I think) that played God-awful movies and had the host and his three robot companions making comments all during the movie. Their silouettes in movie theater seats appeared across the bottom of the screen, giving the illusion that they were sitting in front of you.

See the link for further details. :)
Oh thaaat. I remember it, just never knew what it was called. Unable to stay with it, oddly enough.

Funny sign topic reminds me very little of the time my guru sent me to clean up the karma in Artful Dodge City- or maybe it was a tiny tech office- where the requisite First Aid kit had been hung on the wall with the equally-requisite sign nearby reading "First Aid Kit Here". Some wag hooked a sign above that reading "'First Aid Kit Sign Here' Sign Here'", soon followed by "''First Aid Kit Sign' Here' Sign Here' Sign Here"...

When the path reached the dropped-ceiling panel, the manager posted: "Enough Already!". Of course this begat "'Enough Already' Sign Here" and on and on back down the wall. Last post I saw was a proposal to abandon the gag and thenceforth speak to clients in Hungarian accents...

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:14 am

Oh thaaat. I remember it, just never knew what it was called. Unable to stay with it, oddly enough.
Well, Sluggo, I was thinking you're membership might have to be revoked, afterall a brain completely crammed with useless trivia is the main requirement. If you hadn't remembered at least trying to watch MST3K I'd have to chop your end off the table.

mark tongue-firmly-in-cheek,foot-in-mouth Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:56 pm

Seen today while waiting to check out of a C-store you know those places where just when you're in a hurry the entire town population is there to buy a lottery ticket - a large donation can marked:

Help feed the kids of Hades

I didn't ask...

Upon finally reaching home there's a letter from the USPS which reads in part:

If you do not speak English or you do not understand this letter, please take it with you to your local post office for assistance.

Yeah, it was that kind of day...

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:41 am

Seen today while waiting to check out of a C-store you know those places where just when you're in a hurry the entire town population is there to buy a lottery ticket - a large donation can marked:

Help feed the kids of Hades

I didn't ask...

Upon finally reaching home there's a letter from the USPS which reads in part:

If you do not speak English or you do not understand this letter, please take it with you to your local post office for assistance.

Yeah, it was that kind of day...
Do you remember how, back in the 50s and 60s, the Public Service Announcements reminding people that January was Alien Registration Month (when all Aliens (presumably only those of the terrestrial variety) were to go to the local post office to fill out a form and register) were all in English?

By the way, how full was the bucket?
Regards//Larry

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:10 am

Google Maps found a Hades, Veracruz, Veracruz-Llave MEX.

Perhaps it's a very exclusive mission serving just a single street in Mexico?

Oops. Google Maps found another on the other side of the country: Hades León Los Aldama, Guanajuato Mexico.
Regards//Larry

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:24 am

By the way, how full was the bucket?
The bucket was, well pretty much barren.
Just shows the value of good marketing.

I do remember the alien PSAs. Firesign Theatre did a spoof spot on that theme regarding of course the extraterrestrial brand. I think it was on their first (only?) 45rpm single!

Return to “Res Diversae”